Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am undertaking possibly the hardest trick to train Kasper to do - balance food on his nose that should be in his mouth!! :D

I figured not only is it a really impressive trick to show people (especially those that know what he is like!) but it's also great impulse control. I only started with him tonight and fed him his meal through training, and I think he did great, I just wanted to see if others thought I was trying to teach the trick okay.

I said "leave it" and moved the trick to his nose, clicked and gave him it. Gradually I moved it closer and slightly above him, and made him wait longer. Tonight we got it about 2 - 3 inches from his noise, waiting at least a few seconds each time :) After gradually increasing it closer and closer I am planning to touch the top of his nose with it where the treat will be balanced, click and treat. Obviously that could be a long time away but that will ultimately be my next step. Once he can do that no problem, I'll move on to holding the treat there for longer periods of time, and finally begin letting it go there.

Is keeping his head still something he will learn over time? At the moment he has to keep his eye on the treat, and will move the angle of his nose to watch / smell it. I'm gonna move on to clicking only when his head is still to try show him that's what I want, hopefully.

Also, possibly a stupid question, but I'm okay to say 'leave it' to start with, just to stop him going for the treat, right? I can add in a verbal for the balancing way letter when the trick is pretty much learnt?

Thanks!

Red

·
Registered
396 Posts
I trained my boxer to balance a treat on his nose, he is obsessed with food, obsessed.
I've he smells food he will drool, its like a tap of slobber lol.
I did the same as you, gradually moving it closer and closer to his nose without him trying to eat it. When he leaves it give him something tastier than what your planning to set on his nose. This also helped with getting him to focus on ME and watch me instead focusing on the treat. He watches me like a hawk to I give him the signal to flick the treat up and eat it:) it only took a few days! He can balance a whole stack of treats now and a tennis ball lol - good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
711 Posts
Personally, I don't use a "leave it" cue at all. My rule is, if I haven't told you you're allowed to have it, don't touch it. I actually forgot to tell my older dog he was allowed to eat his breakfast this morning, and he followed me into the bathroom waiting for his cue. Haha!

I'd hate to end up at the emergency vet because my dog ate something nasty off the floor because I wasn't in the room to tell him to "leave it."

As far as this trick, Bear was previously lured before I knew any better so I never did have much success with this one, but the puppy has no trouble with it at all.

·
Registered
829 Posts
we use wait. wait has come in handy with everything from walking through a door or on the stairs too getting out of the car to having her chill before a meal and leaving a treat on her nose. the release "word" is more of a tone. we use different phrases for different situations.

now catching it is another matter. she'll snatch any toy out of the air but never food. she must give it a good sniff first.lol

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips everyone :D

Hehe, that's cute! Yeah, we worked on it where if I'm eating and Kasper is sat nearby, if I drop or put food near him, he isn't allowed to take it until released. So it should be easy to do something similar with the nose trick.

That's a brilliant idea about using a higher value treat than the one I'm holding near him, JamieLeigh. I'll definitely use that :)

I'll let you know when we've mastered it haha :p

Red

1 - 5 of 5 Posts