Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to my vet, we decided to put Diva (6 year old pit. Adopted a little over 3 years ago from Animal Care & Control) on Prozac (she'll start tonight) and Xanax for the few weeks it takes for the Prozac to start to take effect.

Diva has incredible separation anxiety. Just yesterday she managed to rip her door off her crate. That was a first. She barks. Whines. Pants. Drools. She is housebroken but will eliminate in the house and destroy things, which is why I have her in the crate (although yesterday she got herself loose and didnt destroy anything or eliminate in the house which I thought was interesting).

I do not want to keep her in her crate while Im gone and I would LOVE to know that when I leave she would just curl up on the couch and go to sleep. I am also doing everything I can to make sure I can keep her, but Im at the end of my rope.

I have tried training, walking her upwards of two hours a day, calming treats, DAP, rescue remedy, anti anxiety drops, anxiety wrap, etc. Finally, the vet and I decided on meds.

Anywho (sorry for the rambling), are there any suggestions for the kind of work we can be doing together while she's medicated? I know some dogs have to stay on meds for life, but Im going into this with the hope that we can work it out so she can eventually go off them. There is surprisingly little information on the web, and my vet gave me suggestions that I already do.

Any suggestions (outside of telling me NOT to medicate her) would be highly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi MsSashi,

If your vet has no more tips, you have tried everything you found on the web to no avail, and it is as serious as you make it out to be, then you NEED to hire a professional to help you with this. A Veterinary Behaviorist would be best as they excel at complimenting training plans with meds. If that is too expensive for you, you can go for a professional dog trainer.
Try searching for a certified one here:
Search for Professionals.

Or check here:
https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/find-a-trainer?source=kpctnavbar

Any tips you get on this forum will probably mirror all of the other information that is so readily available on the web. A professional that has successfully dealt with SA will be your best bet. Make sure they do not use choke/prong/shock/correction collars and do not punish your dog for being stressed. That will not solve the problem and will probably make things worse in the long run. She needs to be taught that being alone is OK and she has no need to worry.

Good luck! I really hope this will work out. If you want to PM me where in the US you live, I could possibly refer you to someone if I have contacts in that area.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Crating her during the day still sounds best at the moment-you need to be confident she won't destroy everything. Try making the crate a GOOD place-treats before you leave worked for me to help Koda calm down (good things happen when you leave!) and I she goes in her crate before getting her food too, so it's always a good experience.

It will also help if you start in short bursts-give her a treat, leave for a minute and come back and just give her some attention. Once she's settled again, repeat and extend the time you leave for. Depending on if she whines right away or not this will help-sort of like an out-of-sight stay that you're working on.

Mainly, it's important for you leaving to be a good thing and for her to LIKE her crate.

If you do hire a professional for help, it will likely help YOUR anxiety about leaving her, too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts