Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6 month old pup who is a Lhasa Apso, Toy Poodle, Maltese cross breed. Lately he has taken up barking whenever he hears some sort of noise stimulus. He is mostly set off in the evening when he goes outside. This can be by other dogs barking, people walking down the street and some rather noisy next door neighbours. The neighbors also tend to react to him barking and sometimes this makes him bark even more. They are also not the easiest people to deal with. This week everyone at our house has been sick with the flu and we haven't been up to our usual standard when dealing with him and I think this has exasperated the situation. We don't want to reinforce the barking behaviour but as this mostly happens after the sun goes down we would like to stop it as quickly as we can so as not to disturb everyone. He usually calms once back inside the house or once crated up but once he starts barking it is difficult to get him to listen to commands to come back inside. Sometimes he also barks at the tv but we can remove this stimulus by turning the set off. We can't control outside noise and aren't really sure what to do next. Any constructive ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dogs can hear things we cannot so something is stimulating him. Try taking him to the window in a very calm voice while stroking him and tell him "its okay," over and over and over and see if that works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is he outside? Sometimes letting him see what is causing the noise can demystify it.
Yes he is usually outside when he barks but sometimes if he can hear a dog barking when he is inside it will set him off too. Sometimes he can see the stimulus and other times he can't. It doesn't seem to matter much if he can see it or not.

This morning he heard the neighbors dog whining from inside and he started up so I tried the shush command followed by a treat when he was quiet. This did seem to work eventually it it took some time and persistence on my part. It's a bit harder when he's off lead in the back yard because the food lure is not always enough to distract/entice him. I wonder if putting him on a lead when we let him out at night will help?

·
Banned
283 Posts
One thing I might add to this thread.
Ours is about two and a half years old. He sometimes barks when he is inside at home but rarely when outside.

One thing we have learned is that there are different barks (and behaviours) and the mean different things. He might want me up in the morning, want food, want out, want to walk, or hears something that he determines is out of the ordinary.

The last one is very distinctive. Probably the best intruder alarm we could have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts