Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm desperate for help!

I have 7 cats.... and a husky who chases them and holds them down. The cats are not fans to say the least.

I've asked other places for advice and was told basically give him more exercise & stimulation to tire him out- he is getting plenty. He can be dead exhausted and still chase them. It has made no difference. Then people said too bad huskys have high prey drive & there is nothing to be done... I just really do not believe that.

So far we are just managing it but it is stressful for all of us.

Two of my cats will stay downstairs. They are my oldest cats. They don't run from him, so he isn't inspired to chase them. My one cat doesn't run at all & so he almost completely ignores her.

Two of my other cats will come downstairs IF the dog is outside or locked up. They are super good at knowing when he is inside & i tell them when I am bringing him in and they take off upstairs. But every now & then one will be downstairs and he chases them :(

My other cats refuse to step foot downstairs.

This has been going on since January!

He was raised with cats as a puppy. he would play with the cat and he does have a bad habit of jumping on them. He doesn't attack them or try to hurt them but I am afraid he will by holding them down.

I am at a loss. I don't want the cats to run when they see him, and I want him to calm his butt down and not chase or step on them.

Ideas?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The information in this worked for us. You put the dog on leash and in the same room with the cats when the dog is calm and ignoring them you treat. It took some time but it was worth it.
Diamonds in the Ruff

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That link gave me some good ideas.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't have any experience with teaching dogs not to chase cats, but I wish you luck with your endeavor. Just remember he is a husky and its not uncommon for them to want to chase cats, so it might be a bit harder get him to stop.

Maybe you could invest in the baby gates/doggy gates that have cat doors/holes just so they cats have a escape rute and a place were your husky cant get to. It might help a bit while your training. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I was looking to get a husky, the local husky rescue group wouldn't even consider me after they found out I had cats. Huskys have a high prey drive and will chase after small animals. They did have a senior husky that worked out but even she went for cats now and again. I thought it was just that group but nearly every rescue and humane society told me the same thing. You can get a "good one" as far as being good with cats, but be carecup.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Some dogs can and will kill cats. Yours might be one of them, and it is wise of you to be worried and asking the question.

For now, use a leash, gates, crates, doors to ensure your dog does not chase, harrass, or pin the cats. This you can do immediately. It will keep everyone safe.

Prey drive is natural, but it can be managed, redirected, and controlled. When expressed in fetch games, tug, or dog sports like agility & schutzhund, it is a wonderful thing. Nothing wrong with your dog, you just have some work to do.
@newdoggirl addresses the 'how to get this under control' in full well thought out detail. It is well worth printing, reading and referring to.
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/teaching-puppy-not-chase-cats-when-282145/#post3030625

Enjoy your multitude of furry ones, and keep 'em safe.

ps, been there, done that, you can pm me anytime. See my avatar, that was Dynamo who that my cats would make tasty snacks when she first came on board.

Reactions: newdoggirl

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the mention, @Artdog :)
@eckokitten I can completely understand your situation. My dog was BANANAS about the cat when we brought her home and the cat was not happy. Yoki's interest in Troublecat was not about play. She definitely wanted to eat the cat. Not good.

So, I immediately started the process that I wrote about in the thread referenced by @Artdog and the transformation has been unbelievable. My dog and cat snuggle now and while, the dog can still get excited by the cat, it's much, much easier to manage. Dog is 100% clear that the cat is off limits.

I would say on a scale of one to 10, my dog's prey drive is about a million. So, I believe you can train them to be safe with other animals in the house. HOWEVER, she still wants to eat cats on the street and will try if given an opportunity. And, I will never leave her alone with Troublecat, EVER, no matter how friendly they ever get.

It can be done but it takes a lot of patience & consistency. If you ever have any questions, ask away!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'll second @newdoggirl about the 'never leave them alone'. Even my new guy Sonic doesn't get to hang out with the cats by himself.
And yes, outdoor cats, are always quite another thing. I think that is normal, as long as the dog is under control, no big deal.
I love dogs with prey drive, fun, fun, fun... but I also love cats, so it's train, train, train & manage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!

Maybe you could invest in the baby gates/doggy gates that have cat doors/holes just so they cats have a escape rute and a place were your husky cant get to. It might help a bit while your training. Good luck.
I have such a weird house layout. I have stairs going upstairs from both my living room and off the kitchen. So it makes a nice circle lol. Great for kitty escapes. The dogs are not allowed upstairs and I use baby gate.

Silly husky is baby gate trained, though he could, he never jumps them thankfully.

Some dogs can and will kill cats. Yours might be one of them, and it is wise of you to be worried and asking the question.

For now, use a leash, gates, crates, doors to ensure your dog does not chase, harrass, or pin the cats. This you can do immediately. It will keep everyone safe.
I 100% am sure he wouldn't kill them. He really just wants to play but that trigger of them running could definitely lead to injuries for them. But like my older cat that doesnt run away he is fine with her. He licks her, which she doesn't like but he doesnt hurt her. He is just insanely excitable & the running is too much for him to handle.

I am managing it now with the cats being upstairs, baby gates, only coming downstairs when he is outside/locked up. But a handful of times I didnt check or a cat wondered down and didnt see him. he is very fast and the cat panics and doesn't go to the escape right away.

I will definitely read that thread! Thank you!

So, I immediately started the process that I wrote about in the thread referenced by @Artdog and the transformation has been unbelievable. My dog and cat snuggle now and while, the dog can still get excited by the cat, it's much, much easier to manage. Dog is 100% clear that the cat is off limits.
That is good to hear that it can be worked on and hopefully solved! I just want everyone to get along.

I am not worried about outside cats really. We dont' seem to have many around my house. Really he doesn't want to kill, just play. He just sucks at playing gentle lol. & doesn't get why they don't like him....

I'll second @newdoggirl about the 'never leave them alone'. Even my new guy Sonic doesn't get to hang out with the cats by himself
Oh definitely. I am home like almost 24/7 lol When I am not home the dogs are crated/locked up & they are at night as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts