Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My 1 yr old puppyish dog Atticus doesn't understand when enough is enough with some dogs. He just keeps antagonizing until he eventually gets pinned down and snarled at by other dogs. Then Atticus dog retreats for a few seconds and goes after the dogs again just wanting to play! He's not being aggressive he's just wanting to play. But recently he was acting like a jerk and wouldn't back off another dog who was clearly done playing with him, and bit Atticus. Luckily it was a little bit and he barely bled from it. But I want to get this under control before he gets really hurt.

I understand he's still a puppy in certain ways and his behavior is natural. I've taken him to training classes and he follows off lease really well. But when it comes to being with other dogs it's like it forgets all his training.

So what I was wanting to know is if there's anyone who has used a specific brand where you are in control of the collar? I don't want one that shocks/vibrates just when he barks (because he has a barking problem also.), but that I have complete control over. And if you there's anything else I should up try? I'm at a loss in what to do with him.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Don't use a training collar at all, especially in this situation. There's a huge risk that he could begin to associate dogs with the shock rather than what he's doing (in fact, that's more likely to happen than what you want)

Keep him on a leash and let him drag it. As soon as he starts getting too hyped up, grab the leash and remove him, make him sit/lay/do some commands, and release him again once he's calmed down a bit. If he doesn't know when enough is enough, you have to help teach him.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Why are you allowing him to practice this behavior? You need to step in the instant he starts to get overexcited and get him out of there.

Shock collars cause pain and fear. That's how they work. That's the only way they work. You can suppress behavior using pain and fear, but you can't teach. If you're lucky, your dog will be too afraid of other dogs to play much with them. If you're not lucky, he'll associate other dogs with the shock and become violently dog aggressive.

Check out kikopup and zak george on youtube. Their training methods don't have drawbacks, don't require special equipment and they work.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
First, just a little note to let you know that suggesting those training collars are actually against our forum policy and ethos. This is a force free based forum, so members will not be allowed to make any suggestions for collars or brands.

You might want to check out this link, it provides a little more explanation for why we took this stance: http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/forum-rules-guidelines-training-behavior-please-4330/

If you ask me, using a remote shock collar in your situation is a disaster waiting to happen. Even amongst trainers who DO use shock collars, they will tell you that your situation is NOT appropriate for one. You are dealing with a puppy who has no manners, a herding breed puppy nonetheless. Using a shock collar will not teach him how to play nicely. It will only teach him that other dogs bring pain, and are scary. There's a good chance you will end up with a dog aggressive dog if you go that route.

You need to leash your pup and work on teaching him to focus on you with other dogs around. Start at a distance close enough to the other dogs so he knows they're there, but far enough away that you can still collect his attention. Use treats to reward him for following cues and make it fun. Gradually move in closer and closer. And I don't mean over the course of a day or a few days. Over the course of a few weeks.

When you're supervising play, it's YOUR job to make sure he doesn't push other dogs buttons. Watch their body language. When another dog is showing signs that they are done playing and your puppy doesn't get the hint, thats when you need to step in and redirect your dog. If your dog cannot be redirected, you need to physically leash him and walk him away.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Gotta agree with TiggerBounce. Watched a young dog at a dog park whose owner decided the shock collar was a good plan. Over time, the dog became more fearful, less confident. One day, she became a little over-excited with another dog with whom she played regularly. The owner shocked her, she bit the other dog. The owner continued to shock her, and she chased and attacked the other dog. Luckily, she didn't hurt the dog badly, but the owner was clueless as to why the shock collar "stopped working". It didn't stop working, but the cumulative effect of the collar put his dog over the edge; she was redirecting her fear/pain onto the closest thing, which just happened to be her dog buddy.

Please, don't use a shock collar. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
First of all, I'm really glad that you are asking questions first. I know that you were originally seeking advice of which shock collar to purchase, but I hope that come away from this discussion with an understanding that a shock collar can cause serious harm to your dog and that you'll glean some tips for dealing with your dog's behavior.

About the first point, I think it would helpful to read this thread of another new member who set up an electronic fence system:

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/i-think-i-ruined-great-dog-210906/

The potential for fall-out to your dog is too great and not worth the risk.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Let me see if I can fix it. This might not be a file type that is shareable.

Lets see if this one works.

http://www.pawsoflife.org/Library/Learning/schilder.pdf

Another article. These studies should convince most thoughtful people that use of a shock collar has consequences. Train using positive methods. Lack of knowledge is only an excuse one time.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0102722

If the OP would like help with how to train their dog, the training and behavior section of this forum are full of wonderful articles and videos.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What do you do when you see that your dog is harassing another dog?

Using a shock is a) not accepted nor recommended on this forum as default because it hurts and scares the dog b) not logical in your situation. Think, what you are actually teaching the dog. At first, playing with other dogs is allowed. And then not. Are you sure your dog could pinpoint what in his actions led to the shock? The dog can and very likely does guess it wrong and gets from playful to fearful or aggressive. I guess that if someone used such collar on my dog in a similar situation, she would attack the other dog for she has tendency for redirected aggression (someone pushes her, she cannot handle it, and the energy must be released somehow, and if she thinks the cause of the shock was the other dog... ie once my brother kicked/shoved her away by his foot instead of asking her to make space and she attacked my parents dog standing next to her).

You must get your dog away from the dog he is teasing and calm him down or redirect his excitement into something that does not backfire. Either you call him off or go to him and leash him. I would work on solid recall and leave its and 'my owner is the best thing ever on this planet' and add step by step more or different distractions. Maybe teach him recall to a whistle? It is a clear marker not affected by your tone or frustration and it is easier to hear than a vocal cue. Meanwhile he should not be allowed to practice any bad behavior. Maybe you should find playmates that are as rough as he is? Or tire him before you enter dog park or wherever he goes to play.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yup. Get up and go get your dog and pull him away for a calm down period when he gets too rowdy or his play is unwanted.

Train a solid recall so you can call him away from play. This will be difficult until recall is spot on. Until then, go get him and separate him from the other dog and be responsible for his actions.

Reactions: amaryllis

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Thread Closed

@Atticusthecorgi, please feel free to start a new thread should you wish to get advice/discuss management and reward based options for resolving this issue!:)

Personally, I would interrupt play frequently BEFORE it gets rough. Call him and reward heavily for coming, ask for a calm behavior or trick, reward that, and then release back to play. This helps keep play calmer/prevents escalation and helps keep your dog at a point he can think and respond to you. Letting play escalate and then trying to interrupt by calling him will likely result in him being unable to respond as he is far too excited/distracted. ;)

Also, I really love this method for teaching appropriate greetings on leash for out and about. :)
Teach your puppy appropriate greetings on leash | Dogmantics Dog Training

And to everyone else...
A reminder of forum rules and our guidelines about what can and cannot be recommended here...

Please see Rule #1:
Dogforum Community Rules

And guidelines regarding training:
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-forum-announcements/forum-rules-guidelines-training-behavior-please-23692/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.