Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding therapy dog training classes... i guess people just train on their own and then take the test? I just feel more comfortable having someone who knows what they're doing guiding me through the process. Does that make sense? Anyway, I found someone local but she charges $500 for 6 weeks of private lessons and she does a practice test at the end. The price is steep but maybe it's worth it? Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Have you looked at what the test covers? I know you said you want someone to walk you through it, but I really think you and Aspen wouldn't have a problem doing it on your own. I don't think it's worth $500 AT ALL.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at what the test covers? I know you said you want someone to walk you through it, but I really think you and Aspen wouldn't have a problem doing it on your own. I don't think it's worth $500 AT ALL.
I have. The problem is that I need people that she doesn't know and dogs to practice some of the elements. I don't think she would have any trouble passing but I guess I'm looking for guidance for my own confidence level.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I would think it would be cheaper to give it a go with the test and see how she does, then work with whatever she struggles with (although I don't think she will struggle with much)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I agree 500 bucks for 6 weeks is kind of insane (AND I PAY FOR SUSAN GARRETT!). I think you should post an ad on Kijiji (or craigslist) looking for strangers and their dogs. Explain what type of dog you need and I bet you'll get some people willing to help.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree 500 bucks for 6 weeks is kind of insane (AND I PAY FOR SUSAN GARRETT!). I think you should post an ad on Kijiji (or craigslist) looking for strangers and their dogs. Explain what type of dog you need and I bet you'll get some people willing to help.
Craigslist scares me. I'm afraid to get people who think their dog is an angel but it's really Cujo...

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Craigslist scares me. I'm afraid to get people who think their dog is an angel but it's really Cujo...
True. But provided they are on leash - that's good experience for Aspen to ignore them. :p Maybe you have some friends of friends? Or if you drive to Windsor, Aspen can meet Levi and Heidi. :D

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Or Florida! I'll bring Roxie and Forbes! :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
$500 is ridiculous. A TDI class only gives the basics. You still have to practice on your own. Take a basic obedience class you will have exposure to other dogs in a controlled situation. look at the requirements:Therapy Dogs International Look for walking groups in your area:The South Pittsburgh Dog Walk/Play Meetup (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup Take Aspen to parks, walking trails, kids baseball games. Aspen and you can do this without spending a small fortune!!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$500 is ridiculous. A TDI class only gives the basics. You still have to practice on your own. Take a basic obedience class you will have exposure to other dogs in a controlled situation. look at the requirements:Therapy Dogs International Look for walking groups in your area:The South Pittsburgh Dog Walk/Play Meetup (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup Take Aspen to parks, walking trails, kids baseball games. Aspen and you can do this without spending a small fortune!!
I'm fine w practicing on my own. We train everyday. I just have no confidence in myself I guess haha

·
Registered
390 Posts
Take it! If you do not pass then like others have said you will know what work on. They used a soda can with pennies in it as a noise distraction in the TDI test we took and a plastic coffee can with coins in it for the CGC. If you have any questions pm me I will help you as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take it! If you do not pass then like others have said you will know what work on. They used a soda can with pennies in it as a noise distraction in the TDI test we took and a plastic coffee can with coins in it for the CGC. If you have any questions pm me I will help you as much as I can.
Thanks!

We're in CGC now so I do have time to prepare

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
You should have a lot more confidence. You and Aspen are a great team!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts