Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The early fall schedule for our training club was just posted. There is only class that works with Katie's needs and our schedule; unfortunately, it's taught by an instructor I don't care for. Should I suck it up and take the class, re-take a lower level class, or sit out until late fall?

There are things Katie and I can work on independently, but I do better with the pressure of class.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Oh god, skip the class. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with an instructor that you don't like, and your dog will pick up on your tension/irritation.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
If you work better with the pressure, I would go for it. I treat classes as a controlled way to work around other dogs rather than a learning thing half the time. If the instructor is just a personality clash and not going to hinder your progress, the benefit of a controlled set up with dogs around would overweight the aversive of just an annoying instructor, to me. On the other hand if you really hate the instructor, skip it. Not worth it if you'll be frustrated and can't work anyways.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm going to skip the class and work with Katie on my own. I may start posting to her journal more regularly to keep us honest. :)

The lower level class I considered as an alternative is the same day and time as the basic manners class I really want for Tyson. If we don't get into that one, we'll have to wait until October. The little boy needs to get out more.

It's really just a personality conflict with the instructor (she's done drive-by corrections for things that I'm doing for good reason), but I've left her classes so frustrated that I could hit something. Not a good environment for learning and the class is the foundation for a number of other classes I want to take.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If the instructor causes that much frustration, you're probably right in skipping. I know the feeling and sometimes the class itself is worth the frustration and other times, not so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts