Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i have around an 8 month old female rottie and i got her from a rescue about 3 weeks ago, and she keeps doing #1 and #2 at night how do i stop this please??

i let her out just before bedtime to do her business about 11 latest and get up about 7ish and she has gone in that time... i have tryed going to bed later and getting up earlier to see if it was because she was left to long but she still had done it...

also when i take her she never does her business how can i help her do it when we go for a walk???

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Do you have a crate or is she allowed to roam free at night?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
The kitchen is probably too big for her to want to "hold it." and since she's not in the same room as you, you're not able to wake up when she needs to go. Crating done right is not cruel, I really recommend it. Otherwise, I'd tether her to your bed and be prepared to wake up a time or two during the night to take her out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kitchen is probably too big for her to want to "hold it." and since she's not in the same room as you, you're not able to wake up when she needs to go. Crating done right is not cruel, I really recommend it. Otherwise, I'd tether her to your bed and be prepared to wake up a time or two during the night to take her out.
Posted via Mobile Device

what size would i need for her ??? and is it only for night time i use it ??

·
Registered
7,832 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Just one question, what potty training have you done? When she goes at night are you outside with her? What do you do when she does go potty? I ditto Cali's suggestion on crate training

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Can I ask why you don't agree with crate training? Just a curiosity question...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just one question, what potty training have you done? When she goes at night are you outside with her? What do you do when she does go potty? I ditto Cali's suggestion on crate training
yeah i do normally go out with her but sometimes i dont... do you mean if she ''when she does go potty'' at night?? when i come down in the morning i show her the #1 or 2 and tell her 'no bad girl' and put her outside... or do you mean if she potty outside ?? (then i dont do anything)

and Abluedog 'Can I ask why you don't agree with crate training? Just a curiosity question...'

I dont really know to be quite honest... IM NOT SAYING IT'S CRUEL... I was thinking about it but im not to sure... i think its also has a owner i know kept they dog in a crate and it got 'crate tail' if thats what you call it?? everytime someone went near she would wagged her tail and it would bleed from hitting it on the crate all the time...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
yeah i do normally go out with her but sometimes i dont... do you mean if she ''when she does go potty'' at night?? when i come down in the morning i show her the #1 or 2 and tell her 'no bad girl' and put her outside... or do you mean if she potty outside ?? (then i dont do anything)
Ah ok, this is what is going on...you are punishing her only for going potty. This is how she see's it...she eliminates and some time later the elimination is shown to her by you and then there is a punishment, thus going potty = punishment.

Instead you need to praise her and treat her for going potty outside. SHOW her what you WANT her to do. So take her outside, she goes to the bathroom, then you give her treats :) and praise.

When she goes inside, take her outside calmly then go back in without her around to clean up the mess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah ok, this is what is going on...you are punishing her only for going potty. This is how she see's it...she eliminates and some time later the elimination is shown to her by you and then there is a punishment, thus going potty = punishment.

Instead you need to praise her and treat her for going potty outside. SHOW her what you WANT her to do. So take her outside, she goes to the bathroom, then you give her treats :) and praise.

When she goes inside, take her outside calmly then go back in without her around to clean up the mess.
so if she does potty inside then just put her outside with out saying anything to her??

and i dont punish her if she pottie's outside. i have no promblem with her potting outside in the garden she does that no problem LOL. its when i walk her in the field's she willnt potty as she is to worried about noise's as she is a very shy dog...

i forgot to say i got her from a dog rescue, as she was beaten at a young age and she is really shy now (could this have any effect on her potting a night) ?? if you go near her to quickly or scare her or raise a voice she pee's and drops to the floor... also she is very scared of her lead and collar...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
so if she does potty inside then just put her outside with out saying anything to her??
Right, ignore the bad, praise the good.

and i dont punish her if she pottie's outside
I didn't mean you punished her outside, but you said you don't do anything if she goes outside. It needs to be a party when she goes outside :)

If she is afraid of her lead and collar then you need to change that by slowly introducing her to the lead and collar then the walk :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If she is afraid of her lead and collar then you need to change that by slowly introducing her to the lead and collar then the walk :)
thats what i been doing... i have had her for 3 weeks now and only taken her out for the last three day running for about 2 hours each time as the weeks before i have been trying to get her used to the L&C she is ok when i can get it on her but when i first get it and she hears it she runs off, then i will call her with the L&C in my hand and she comes (then i give her loves and treat) but as soon as i move the L&C she runs again...

L&C = lead and collar... lol

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Take it slower :) what I did with my dog is I put the leash on the floor and ignored it. When he looked at the leash I would click/treat (I use clicker training), then eventually he would get closer and I'd c/t, then if he sniffed c/t, and so on. Eventually I would pick up the leash and c/t, then walk towards him ct/t etc etc. Does that make sense? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take it slower :) what I did with my dog is I put the leash on the floor and ignored it. When he looked at the leash I would click/treat (I use clicker training), then eventually he would get closer and I'd c/t, then if he sniffed c/t, and so on. Eventually I would pick up the leash and c/t, then walk towards him ct/t etc etc. Does that make sense? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah that makes sence :D thank you...

when you click train do you have to do it everytime even when they get used to the L&C??

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

and Abluedog 'Can I ask why you don't agree with crate training? Just a curiosity question...'

I dont really know to be quite honest... IM NOT SAYING IT'S CRUEL... I was thinking about it but im not to sure... i think its also has a owner i know kept they dog in a crate and it got 'crate tail' if thats what you call it?? everytime someone went near she would wagged her tail and it would bleed from hitting it on the crate all the time...
I think thats a bit more extreme than it needs to be and incredibly sad. Look though the crate training section that was linked. Crates really can be very positive things and many many many dogs when trained properly LOVE their crates.

My Zoey chooses to go in to her crate at night, its a place that she feels super secure, nothing can bother her their, she can chew on a bone in peace, she can take a nap if she wants ect. She only told to go in to her crate when we leave so its not something where the dog would have to wag its tail to the the point of bleeding.

I agree with pawz on the praising, if that doesn't help to elimate the issue, an your not up to the crate, maybe confining to a smaller room like a bathroom with a baby gate could work for you :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
yeah that makes sence :D thank you...

when you click train do you have to do it everytime even when they get used to the L&C??
I would do it for awhile to make sure she doesn't go backwards in training. But when you get the l&c out and she becomes excited for walks after a couple times fade it out and do it randomly then you can stop :) I don't have to do anything anymore with my guy but I still give him a treat here and there before the walk

Go to youtube and type in "kikopups" she has some awesome videos to help with shyness and training in general :) Its what I use when I come across a new hurdle

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
kikopup= Awesome

If you have never tried clicker training she will walk you right through it. Before I found the dog forum youtube was my go to place. I find kikopups website easier to find videos on rather than youtube Home

I hope things get better for you guys!

I know from experience how difficult assimilating rescues in to a house can be. Keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kikopup= Awesome

If you have never tried clicker training she will walk you right through it. Before I found the dog forum youtube was my go to place. I find kikopups website easier to find videos on rather than youtube Home

I hope things get better for you guys!

I know from experience how difficult assimilating rescues in to a house can be. Keep up the good work :)
I would do it for awhile to make sure she doesn't go backwards in training. But when you get the l&c out and she becomes excited for walks after a couple times fade it out and do it randomly then you can stop :) I don't have to do anything anymore with my guy but I still give him a treat here and there before the walk

Go to youtube and type in "kikopups" she has some awesome videos to help with shyness and training in general :) Its what I use when I come across a new hurdle
A BIG THANKS... i will check it out now :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts