Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am leaving for a week in august and will be sending my puppy to a boarding/daycare/training facility. He went there for a week in June and I was really happy with the care he received (baths, playtime with other dogs, multiple walks daily, pictures of him uploaded to social media). The place offers boarding and training which not only includes 5-6 walks a day and play time, but 2-3 training sessions daily. I thought that would be so wonderful for him to get even more stimulation and attention, as well as stay brushed up on his manners.

Now please know, I would NEVER send him away to be trained to fix a problem, nor do I think that that's the best option for most dogs. I have done a lot of work with him, and he's really good. But mental stimulation is just as important for him (and to me) as physical stimulation and I figured, if I have to keep him somewhere anyway, why not get even more training and attention if I can help it?

Please share your thoughts and experiences with a similar program! And thank you in advance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of training methods do they use? If it's force-free, why not? Otherwise, I'd have second thoughts about using the facility.
They have multiple trainers that use different methods. I have met the woman who would be training him and she uses 100% positive methods and "specializes" in puppies (mostly trains puppies). I've also met a lot of people at the dog park with dogs trained by them, and they say nothing but good things about the place, and the dogs seem happy to do their job and are pretty well behaved, too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sounds like a great place! When I was younger we boarded the family dog a few times, she didn't do well in a boarding situation and it was always very stressful for her. Plus, the place wasn't nearly as nice as this one sounds, though it wasn't a bad place. If your dog does alright in boarding situations and you have been happy w this place in the past, I wouldn't be having second thoughts. Like I said, it sounds wonderful.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
They have multiple trainers that use different methods. I have met the woman who would be training him and she uses 100% positive methods and "specializes" in puppies (mostly trains puppies). I've also met a lot of people at the dog park with dogs trained by them, and they say nothing but good things about the place, and the dogs seem happy to do their job and are pretty well behaved, too.
Eh. It would make me nervous knowing that other types of training are being used. I mean, they say only the positive trainer will be training your dog, but you have no way of enforcing that. What if the positive trainer is out sick? Then the choice is leave your dog in his kennel all day (not good) or have the force based trainer(s) take a whack at him (even worse).

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Sounds like a great place! When I was younger we boarded the family dog a few times, she didn't do well in a boarding situation and it was always very stressful for her. Plus, the place wasn't nearly as nice as this one sounds, though it wasn't a bad place. If your dog does alright in boarding situations and you have been happy w this place in the past, I wouldn't be having second thoughts. Like I said, it sounds wonderful.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with supaflyskye. As long as you communicate your expectations to the staff and trainers before you drop off your puppy, I think it's going to be a positive experience for your dog.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh. It would make me nervous knowing that other types of training are being used. I mean, they say only the positive trainer will be training your dog, but you have no way of enforcing that. What if the positive trainer is out sick? Then the choice is leave your dog in his kennel all day (not good) or have the force based trainer(s) take a whack at him (even worse).
I've been to them before, and I really don't think they'd resort to that. They seem very honest, and really want to do what's best for the dog and owner, though that thought did go through my mind..

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could tell them that if the pos-only trainer isn't available any time during your pup's stay, then you'd prefer no training be done until she's available again. That way your pup would still be walked and played with.

Cobber goes to a boarding facility that also runs a day care, so he's in their "stay and play" program, which is pretty much what it sounds like. He sleeps there and then 3 times a day gets to spend a block of time playing with the day care dogs. I like the idea better than just boarding him and having him be cooped up the whole time or totally on his own in a run of some sort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.