Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I live in a townhouse (no private yard) in Minnesota. We recently adopted a 3-year-old Japanese Chin named Baxter. Baxter is a wonderful dog. The only real problem is that he will only poop and pee when we are on a walk, which means I will have to be on walks in the dark cold Minnesota winters. Is there any way to teach him to do his business right outside our door without a long walk? This is not a critical issue, but is causing some tension between my husband and I because we disagree on how and whether his behavior can be changed. I appreciate any help I can get.

·
Super Moderator
3,687 Posts
Yes it can be done. Decide on a word you will use as a cue (we use ”busy”). As he is actually in the act of pooing, say the word over and over and as soon as he stops, deliver a high value reward like roast chicken or frankfurter sausage.

Then after you think he has got it, start trying to say the word just before he starts - my dog has ”the walk of poo” and I know when he is looking for a spot, hopefully you know what I mean! And reward after.

Then, after some repetitions depending on how quickly he picks things up, use the word to prompt him when you know he needs - he won't be able to poo on cue unless he needs to anyway so don't poison the cue by giving it when he won't be able. And keep rewarding for now. Once it is really solid you can start fading the reward to a biscuit or normal food.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Then, after some repetitions depending on how quickly he picks things up, use the word to prompt him when you know he needs - he won't be able to poo on cue unless he needs to anyway so don't poison the cue by giving it when he won't be able. And keep rewarding for now. Once it is really solid you can start fading the reward to a biscuit or normal food.
I agree with Joanne F.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used the above advice, and to add, started taking him outside after each meal. After a week or so, I could almost predict when he has to poop. He goes after each meal pretty much. If he doesn't go right away, I watch him closely and take him out a little while later, but generally he'll go in the early morning before breakfast and after his meal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it can be done. Decide on a word you will use as a cue (we use ”busy”). As he is actually in the act of pooing, say the word over and over and as soon as he stops, deliver a high value reward like roast chicken or frankfurter sausage.

Then after you think he has got it, start trying to say the word just before he starts - my dog has ”the walk of poo” and I know when he is looking for a spot, hopefully you know what I mean! And reward after.

Does that make sense?
That does make sense and is pretty much what I'm doing. I'm trying to get him to go right outside our door, but the problem comes because I want to take him for a walk, and that's when he's used to pooping so it's hard to get him to go where I want him too enough times so that he understands what he's being asked. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
64 Posts
That does make sense and is pretty much what I'm doing. I'm trying to get him to go right outside our door, but the problem comes because I want to take him for a walk, and that's when he's used to pooping so it's hard to get him to go where I want him too enough times so that he understands what he's being asked. Does that make sense?
Do you have trees or bushes in your yard?

·
Super Moderator
3,687 Posts
that's when he's used to pooping so it's hard to get him to go where I want him too enough times so that he understands
I know what you mean, it might take a few weeks of using the words while he actually is pooing to ”capture” the behaviour enough for him to associate it with the cue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have trees or bushes in your yard?
Yes, there are trees and bushes beside our house, then a sidewalk, then more trees and an open area. Most dogs that are walked past our house pee on the trees in the open area, not near the houses.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes, there are trees and bushes beside our house, then a sidewalk, then more trees and an open area. Most dogs that are walked past our house pee on the trees in the open area, not near the houses.
It's ok if the other dogs don't pee there, you could still 'teach/encourage" him to go near your house on the bushes, it might just take time and patience as Johanne explained.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts