Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Lexi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I need some advice on a dog I adopted back in June. I'm not sure what all you need to know but I'll try not to make her story to long. Her name is Lexi she's a 3 year old chuweenie. The rescue told me she was with 8 other chuweenies they were found in Texas locked in a shed used for breeding. She was rescued last April. I think she was born in the shed since she's 3. Lexi's pups were taken from her after 2-3 weeks every time. Lexi had her uterus removed because it had some life threatening infection and she was heart worm positive. I adopted Lexi in Minnesota back in June for my friend that's disabled and uses a walker. Lexi became my dog its like she chose me. I never did anything different with her when I would visit my friend. Lexi was scared the first month and I would be on my knees next to her and whisper everything will be alright nobody will hurt you here. Eventually when i came to my friends place Lexi would go bonkers for me running in a circle, jumping up and down, jumping up on her hind legs. She would only go to my friend when she had food so I took Lexi home with me. She's not house broken and doesn't bark only heard her slightly bark occasionally when sleeping. I share an apartment with my retired parents Lexi only goes to them for food to. I have my bedroom set up for her there's a heavy vinyl plastic covering my entire bedroom carpet that i got at a craft store with puppy pads in certain areas on top. She has her favorite spot she likes going to the bathroom on. I let her come out of my room after she urinates because she'll go on the carpet. She prefers being in her dog bed most of the time if she hears any noises she runs back to her bed which is under my bed. When I'm working she stays in her bed all day until i come home then she goes bonkers for me only leaves the bed to eat or go to the bathroom. In a new environment it usually takes her 3 days before she'll eat and drink normally I give her wet food if I see her not eating if it happens she eats it right up she sees it more like a treat she just loves getting treats goes wild for them. When I took her for car rides to the vet for her heart worm treatment she enjoys sitting on my lap. She gets very scared going to the vet she urinated on herself when they had her in the back. Going outside is very scary for her she feels most secure in my room in her bed. At my friends place she had a favorite corner she would sit in all day to until i came over. She loves playing with other dogs her size or smaller but does not like to meet new people she doesn't bite or bark but is visible shaken with tail between legs. I have bad anxiety and some depression she helps me with it, its like she can be herself with me like we both do good with each other. When she's in her bed and i go near her she rolls on her belly wanting belly rubs. She won't do that for anyone else. Today I bought her a pink collar and matching leash.

I would like to get her used to using a leash and slowly take her for walks for exercise. She accepts the collar on and I have the leash in her bed with her so she can become used to seeing it around.

I also was wondering if there's a way to train her to use an indoor potty she's so scared to go potty outside she wouldn't do it at the vet office. It just seems she will never fully trust other people like she knows my friend the same amount of time as me but rarely went to her with me all i have to do is same her name and she comes.

Thank you for the help

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Pet supply

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
She is very sweet. If she was in a puppy mill, she probably never got to go outside so it isn't surprising everything is so overwhelming.

For an indoor toilet, I'd suggest getting a big shallow plastic box like you see at garden centres and line it with gravel (so you can hose it every day). Put it in the part of the room where she normally toilets. Encourage her to toilet there, or if she starts to toilet, lift her in - and when she toilets, tell her good girl and immediately reward with domething fabulous like roast chicken or frankfurter sausage. It has to be immediate to be clear that it's for toileting and not for anything else and it has to be fabulous to make it worth her while to want to use the tray. With enough repetitions, that will become her place.

I think you might be a little ambitious about walking her just yet.

Before that, I'd suggest taking her out in the car or carrying her tucked into your jacket. Go to places that are not too busy, but where she can observe people, traffic, kids, etc from a safe place. And just hang out. You could also sit sith her on the front step of the house. When you do encourage her out to walk, don't think of it as a walk to start, think of it as part of her training, because you will likely find you only get a few paces and she will want to come home. That's OK, let her. It's more important that she learns you are listening to her than it is to walk. Over time - maybe months - you will start to see progress.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm glad you two found each other. And it's perfectly ok if she likes you best and is "meh" with other people. And take it at her pace (which sounds like you are the best you can!).

For getting her used to the leash, you can do as you are. And then, clip it on, click, treat, take it off. Repeat. Next step, take a step or two. If she stays where she is, that's ok. You can either treat her there or go back a step. If she follows you, generous praise and treats. This is all in the house. When she's comfortable, you can expand to other rooms. Then the yard or hall, but right back in if she's uncomfortable. This will all take a while, but as JoaneF said, this is about bonding and her learning you are listening and learning about the world.

If you're not already doing clicker training, I highly recommend it.

And links. Do read discerningly, and feel free to reach out to us with questions!

·
Registered
Lexi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice I will continue to take things slow with her at her pace. I did see progress tonight when i came home she let out 2 barks for me thats the first time she's ever spoken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts