Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have, in the last week, re-homed a 15 month old Labrador from a farmer who didn't want him any more because he wasn't quite right to be shown. He is the first male dog I have owned and is currently still intact although I've been told that taking him to be castrated could help with his excitability and frustration. however, there is definitely more that needs to be done. Unfortunately, beyond walking on a lead (which he is actually very good at), he has had zero time spent on his training and it is very difficult to convince him to listen. As you can probably imagine, not only is he at that very large puppy stage, but as a result of having no training even in his early life, he is a massive handful. I have a little girl who he is very good with face to face but I do worry he could accidentally jump on her or potentially bounce around too much and clip her with his tail for example. Since he came to live with us I have discovered that I am pregnant with my second child which makes the urgency for his training to get underway all the more important. I have plans to take him to some local classes but the next course doesn't start til mid November. Does Anyone have any advice or tips at all? I'd really rather keep him if possible. He's a lovely dog with a lot of potential, he's just hard to control because he thinks everything's a game.

Many, many thanks in advance

1 - 2 of 2 Posts