Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my dog is 6 mounths she does the sit, down, come, stay and "get it"(the ball). I would like to teach her to carry along one item. This is the methode that i've been trying but as it is not resulting i'm asking for help:

I gave her a mini chest, saying "take" and I wait a few seconds until I say "realase". I've been encreasing the time and now she can handle 10 seconds with the chest in her mouth. The problem is that when I call her she releases the chest. Should I insist with this methode?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think the method is fine, you've just skipped a couple steps...if Iam understanding you correctly....

are you with her and then walk away calling her hoping she'll carry the object or is she far away and you want her to carry the object to you when you call her?

can she pick the object off the ground and hand it to you yet?

Iam teaching a hold and carry right now too. :) I first taught a backchained retrieve to my hand.... then I started running away from the dog while he has the object, and once he could do that, I started telling him to go to his place with the object and at that point I added the cue to carry the object "bring it" and then a destination "your bed" "your crate" etc :).

this is how you backchain a retrieve :)

Keepers - Shirley's Retieve

but I may be misunderstanding you :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also trained her first to take a thing and then realese. When I train her I am with her, she is sit down and then I walk away 4 meters and I call her. The problem is that she releases the object before I say to. But if she is stopped there is no problem. Recently, I've shaked the chest (the object that she trains with) and she grabbed and as I was calling her she was coming and doing what I sayed to.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you a lot for the link you gave me, It helped me a lot. It had the perfect methode for me and my dog and now she is now starting to carry as I pretended.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts