Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just rescued a deaf puppy, he is a white pit bull. I have questions about training/commands. I know this will have to be silent training which i have never done before. Example: when he is biting too hard or too much do I walk away? tap him on his nose? When he potties do I get in front of him with a treat afterwards, pet him, how do I show my excitement for when he does good things and my disapproval for bad thing? I use "uh uh" and "yes" with my other dogs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just use visual or touching signals, like petting when approving, and poking him gently when disapproving, be creative. I however have no idea how to train recall without some sort of sound.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just use visual or touching signals, like petting when approving, and poking him gently when disapproving, be creative. I however have no idea how to train recall without some sort of sound.

TY for the response. I started poking very gently of course at him when he chewed on things he shouldn't and he seems to be responding to that. I have no clue how to train him recall as well, if anybody has ideas if this is even possible please share. I have gotten into his line of site and did the "come here" type hand movement people do with babies all the time and he came running, so hopefully if I continue with that he will learn, and hopefully we can get him to focus on us when out walking just in case. Anymore suggest are welcome as well! and very much appreciated. Pics soon!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
google is amazing!

I will look for one! That sounds awesome TY so much.
i was trying to find that collar on line, and i googled "deaf dogs" and a lot of sites came up that appear to be helpful, you should check it out. i also googled "deaf dog training collars" and the thing came up! looks a bit pricey but sounds like it is worth it. good luck! and good for you to take on this challenge, you rock:rockon:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was trying to find that collar on line, and i googled "deaf dogs" and a lot of sites came up that appear to be helpful, you should check it out. i also googled "deaf dog training collars" and the thing came up! looks a bit pricey but sounds like it is worth it. good luck! and good for you to take on this challenge, you rock:rockon:
Yea I found quite a few sites as well! I think the only challenge will be getting him to look at us when necessary. I think I like this collar idea, someone suggests a shock collar...now wtf kind of thing is that to do to a dog for the simple reason of him/her being deaf? Now that I know about the Vib-collar (I think thats the official name) I dont think there is any need for shock collars for training purposes. This is going to be a good challenge. TY again for the advice :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
how wonderful...I hope to one day own a deaf or blind (or both!) dog... probably an aussie.

yep...its all hand signals...you will have to create a "yes!" handsignal...or use a small led flashlight (just like a clicker is used)

A vibrating collar is pretty much the standard for recalls on a deaf dog.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with touch :)

go to youtube and search "deaf dog tricks" and scroll down to Basils video. :)

BTW I watched your videos you have up on youtube. I will have to post some of my dogs' videos. Its fun to scroll through and watch lol Yea at least he can see me so I can take advantage of my sign language training

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here he is! he moves around too much to get a good still photo when he is awake. he still has no name. White Devil (lol jk), Badger because that is what he sounds like when he is playing, Frosty, we really want something that says "hey I am different" because all 4 of our other dogs are black and tan, we are having a hard time. Any suggestions are welcome as well. We have Harvick, Peyton, Tinkerbell, Wendy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts