Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas everyone! my boyfriend bought me a puppy for christmas! we pick him up on the 28th. I couldnt be more excited except.. its a boy dachshund. my bf has a girl doxie already but shes older and i didnt meet her untill she she was about 2 already and potty trained, other than that his girl has absolutely no training, she barks and pulls and is bad with kids and other dogs.. but she is a little sweety and once you know her you cant help but love her. i also have a dog, a catahoula lab mix and shes just turned 2 and is still in her "puppy" phase but shes been thru months of training and is a very good dog just needs a LOT of exercise.. my point is he thought it would be better to get a boy since both our girls are older now and we he didnt want any fighting or aggressiveness but Ive never had a boy and Ive heard doxie boys are especially hard to potty train and are especially stubborn. my dog was a blessing, her mother potty trained her so all i had to do was watch till she went to the door and she would go outside everytime from day one, so I havent really had much practice in potty training.. we bought pee pads and a krate.. any ideas?? this is a picture of our little guy

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Here's my favorite puppy book... has lots of stuff in it even experienced puppy raisers will enjoy.

Amazon.com: puppy primer

As far as male vs female, I've raised 2 of each, and there was not a lot of difference in terms of house training.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the posts guys.. really liked the video Dawnben.. i like the concept of not punishing the dog so he isnt scared to potty in front of you even outside.. hopefully it wont be as hard as everyone is telling me. Im lucky enough to be able to take 2 weeks off work when the little guy comes home so Ill constantly be with him.. my bf and i have pretty opposite schedules and i work alot of nights so hopefully between the two of us he wont ruin the carpets.. lol my guy can even take the puppy to work with him most days after he's potty trained..

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
The only "hard" thing about a doxie is they are so low to the ground it is hard to tell if they are squatting or not! :p

Yes, absolutely the idea of not punishing the puppy is key! Doxies can get fear-aggressive if you punish them, so do the positive thing! It works better, faster, and everyone is happier! :)

Those books would be a huge help.
They might also offer you insights into the other dogs in your life. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone.. im super excited and nervous.. my bf and i are in the process of moving in together again, and 3 dogs seems so overwhelming, but at least its only one puppy.. i started putting my dog thru classes when she was about 6 months.. how old should he be when i start him.. can i do it as soon as he has his shots?? i know socialization is very imortant especially with doxies.. my bfs girl isnt very sociable and barks at ppl and other dogs, i want him to love everybody like my dog does.. and another thing, how old does he have to be before i nueter him?? i had to wait till my girl was 6 months.. is it the same for boys??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts