Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- my new 10 month old rescue puppy goes nuts over squirrels and rabbits on walks, and one timelunged aggressively at a person. I am trying to train using a Gentle leader (in conjunction with obedience class & one-on-one time with a behaviorist), and I feel like we are going backwards. Yesterday morning we encountered a raccoon and mean cat on our walk and she tried to lunge both times and wasn't able to, then seemed on edge the rest of the walk. She hadn't been resisting the Gentle leader until this incident and now she hates it and seems on edge the entire time which makes me nervous. Any advice? I don't meet with the behaviorist for another 10 days but I'm afraid she will show more aggression in the leader

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there! So what kind of leash are you using to walk the dog? If your dog is showing aggression to smaller animals and even people a harness or a collar is not a good fit because it actually gives them more power. If you buy a really cheap leash and loop it around the top of the neck by the ears and the jaw, they can't pull. You didn't mention what kind of puppy it is, it doesn't matter the size because all dogs pull with their chest and if you have control of the head, you have control of the dog. If you have cable you should what the dog whisperer or Cesar 911 (or youtube videos of Cesar Milan). His technique is on point and you'll get a visual of what I'm trying to describe to you. He's never worked with a dog that couldn't be trained, no matter what the age. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I used a Gentle Leader for years with a squirrel-reactive dog. It worked great but it's not 100%. I brought treats for a while as well to get him back into a nice walk. If you are worried, give it a break until you can meet with your behaviorist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts