Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old lab with high energy and high toy drive. He has always loved catching a tennis ball in the air when tossed to him. As in--when he is at a distance and you throw the ball to him as if we are playing catch--very different than the game of fetch, in which the dog begins at the heel position.

I have never been able to figure out how to train him to 'go out' to wait for the pass. I have seen other dogs do this, but for some reason haven't been able to do it with Jake.

I should be able to teach him 'place'. So, for example, when I give him the place command he knows to sit on a towel or other object that we designate. For some reason the 'place' has never resonated with Jake. Other dogs I have trained have picked up on it easily. But Jake is oblivious to it.

I'm sure it is the trainer and not the animal. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I teach the "send away" and long distance directional arm signals for tracking using touch pads, can't see bridging a ball into it later being too difficult :)
Touch pads are easy to teach, it's actually the first thing I teach young puppies :)

Ignore the intro, it's from a jumping dvd, just keep adding distance as the dog figures it out. I do 100 yard send aways with it :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a great video! The thing he explained about starting with an elevated mark probably explains exactly why I have failed!

Now I need to figure out how to transition from 'touch' to 'go long'. I think he will get the hang of it.

He makes it look so easy in the video. I hope it is.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
@bocraw it's all in the hand signal, as you develop some distance, using the same hand gesture, stop saying "touch" and say "go long" , when he hits the target mark with either primary or secondary reinforcer and reward :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
@hkvik mine are more black, but very much the same, thankfully I did a tonne of research both in lineage and training waiting for my last to pass, so both my new girls have got a huge dose of Ellis and it is awesome. They are so high in drive, yet so manageable from all the engagement work :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts