Dog Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Both of mine have only just started coming riding with me. Rat is petrified of the horse so won't go anywhere near his feet lol. But also would never leave my sight so stays at the perfect distance at all times! :D He only has little legs too so has to run a lot lol.
The greyhound takes a lot more care and attention haha. I don't trust her recall in exciting open spaces yet and I don't trust that she will stay at a safe distance... since she can pretty much keep up with a horse's gallop -_-

Attachments

· Registered
220 Posts
I won't lie, she's not the brightest spark and she has zero spatial awareness lol. I started her on a long line but she wiggled everywhere and poor Mr Darcy wasn't enjoying his ride at all being tangled up in it! Eventually I just used her everyday leash and she learnt to move fluidly by the side within a few days. Now I can canter over the moors with all of them in control. It just takes time and a lot of persistence. I can jump a small cross country course with all three now that we are all co-ordinated! :) Though I think Rat cheats quite a lot hahaha...
Definitely use a harness if using a leash/line for the first time though :)
Eventually I hope to be able to ride with her beside. Tbh she probably would now but there are lots of sheep lambing and other interesting things to run after and it's not worth the stress of her running off... maybe I don't give her enough credit! haha

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
It seems like your patience and hard work have paid off! I also tried using a long line at one point and had a similar issue, there was a lot of stopping and untangling. Hopefully after some practice with my dog everything will click and fall into place :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.