Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heidi is approaching 5 months old, and I'm starting to think about her spay procedure. As per the breeder's wishes, she has requested that she be spayed before her first heat. I know it is not ideal, and I would prefer to wait until a year, but that isn't my call, and I'd rather not get into a debate about if you should or should not spay.

I'm asking about the differences, because I'm a little out of my element. We had a lot of male dogs growing up, and the female dogs in my family have either been traditionally spayed, or aren't spayed at all. I believe they don't have any vaginal discharge/bleeding in the OSS correct? Is an OSS a better way to go or is a traditional spay not really that bad? If there is a price difference it wouldn't really be a big deal, as I'm just hoping for the best possible outcome for her.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Manna had an OSS!

Bo discharge and no bleeding but still attitude and sometimes will still attract males.

Thos are pretty much the only downsides I've noticed, but we trained through the moodswings (harder but do able )

The hormones are a part of the system and gave been shown in various studies to affect bone and joint development.
I didn't read those studies till after tho. I just went with it cause I figured that women who lose their hormones get replacement therapy for a reason. So better to keep the hormones.

·
Banned
422 Posts
I wouldn't do either of those, I prefer laparoscopic spay where they take out the ovaries leaving the uterus, It takes out the hormones so they cannot get pregnant and it's a-lot less painful, recovery time is cut in half they use 1 or 2 tiny incisions and the dogs heal fast with almost no pain. When they take out the uterus it's more painful for the dog. My pup just had this done she still have her uterus.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Both of my females that were spayed were also done before the first heat, as per the shelter instructions. Both were done traditionally - my terrier mix was sensitive for a few days, my Lab mix was up and at 'em early the next morning with no pain at all.

Neither had major problems due to the nature and timing of the spay, at least as far as I can tell. My terrier is still very healthy, my Lab passed away a year ago from bone cancer and liver failure at 12 years old - no idea what was the "cause" but it could have been anything. Up until about 4 months before she passed, she was extremely healthy besides some HD that was probably more breed related than anything.

I don't know if there are any vets that do OSS around here but I do like the idea of it so probably will do more research in the future when I'm fixing to get a pup.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I think @cbarkerb724 also did it with Lila, and recently. She may have some insight.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I spayed Tessa the traditional way and just over 6 months, though I selected to do blood work before anesthetic and they used a laser. I personally don't find much of a difference in her personality, though her metabolism did slow down. She grew normally, she doesn't have mood swings, and has 0 pain afterwards - though she is a stoic dog lol. My last dog, Jazzy, was also a traditional spay at 6 months and never had any issues either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had my dog spayed traditionally at 8 months before her first heat, and I did not notice a difference in her personality at all, and there were no complications. She is still quite small for a rottweiler her age though, and there is a chance that this is because the spay stunted her growth a bit. But there is no way to tell this - and it could just as easily be that she was always going to be on the smaller side.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I had my dog spayed traditionally at 8 months before her first heat, and I did not notice a difference in her personality at all, and there were no complications. She is still quite small for a rottweiler her age though, and there is a chance that this is because the spay stunted her growth a bit. But there is no way to tell this - and it could just as easily be that she was always going to be on the smaller side.
I've always heard that neutered dogs grow bigger not smaller.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Jess had the normal spay uterus and ovaries out and i dont know if i could work through the mood swings either if she had kept ovaries and i dont want males attracting to her. Personally i think i did her a favor as female problems which i go through myself (endo) well i wouldnt wish it on Jessie or any female human or female dog. she was quiet for 6 days though feeling sorry for herself who can blame her?

Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Not sure why anybody would want to leave the uterus. The uterus is what gets pyometra.

I would say do an OSS, which is perfectly safe to do at a younger age. You can keep the hormones, which are important for mood stabilization and development. BUT, the downside to doing it before a first heat is that you have no clue how her heats will affect her, because she will still go through heat cycles. It would really suck to have it done and then find out that she's a crazy thing and is made miserable by her hormones. Which can happen. If you can get her through a heat or two first, you get a better idea of whether it's something you can deal with. I think more often than not, it's not that big of a deal, and you can work through it. But there are some dogs that are better off with a full spay.

Is there any way you could talk to your breeder about your concerns? Is she aware of the downfalls to doing a full spay so early in life?

·
Registered
502 Posts
All 3 of my females have been spayed the traditional way, at 4 months, 6 months and 3 years old. I've had no health issues, quick recovery, and no change in behavior. I would never opt for leaving the ovaries, I think it's a complication that doesn't need to be there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts