Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankful for the mild winter this year- these pictures were taken pretty close to Christmas! Really glad we ended up getting a longer tracking season. I don't want to do a lot of training on snow because Echo is still a novice.

Does anyone else track?

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have tried to teach Alva to track but I am not good at it. And we have practiced way too rarely to learn anything properly. It is partially about laziness and lack of motivation and goals and partially because I don't have access to good places to track for I don't have a car.

Your Echo is so beautiful...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those photos are awesome! Do you just do it for fun or are you training up your dog for search and rescue?

I dont track - yet. I live around 6 hours away from the nearest training places, however there is a guy in my town who has organised for one of the Search Dog trainers to come to town in April, so Im going to go along to that! In the meantime though I have a lot of reading material to get through. But I have all this enthusiasm and information but I just dont know where to start! Do you have any tips as to what beginner games/tricks/behaviours I could start teaching my dog??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@FinnAlva It can be hard to get started or train consistently! When I first started I had a hard time finding places to track. Because my dog's are novices I couldn't track somewhere with a ton of activity- too many cross tracks. In the fall I got started and trained frequently because some farmer friends let me track in their fields- but I can't track there in the summer with crops on them!

And it's too bad it isn't more popular. I don't have a teacher or take classes, but I found a couple people who are interested and we meet up every once in a while to track together. Nice to have someone else watch you and your dog go.

But, on the flip side of the coin, it's a very relaxing activity. Some morning I get up early and it's just me, my dog, and nature.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Zephyrdog I'm interested in CKC tracking! I'd love to do search and rescue, but in Ontario it's super hard for civilians to get involved. The RCMP basically has a monopoly on it. So I do it for fun, with the goal to eventually trial in it one day. (With the amount of other dog sports I do this probably won't be for awhile.)

What kind of tracking are you interested in? SAR, CKC/AKC, and schutzhund are all quite different! I was very surprised to see how differently they are trained and judged in the different venues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
@laceyj19 The training we would be doing would be SAR - there are around 4 of us that will be starting up a group out here :) And theres no other training available anyway unfortunately... obedience only just got started up a few months ago....

I live in a mining town, so we often get prospetors getting lost out in the bush, which would be the type of situation we would (hopefully) be working in :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes we track for fun doing AKC tracking, but will be starting IPO tracking in the spring. I was told not to track in the cold or snow. If you have ever exercised a lot in the cold it can really hurt your lungs and our trainer said the same thing for dogs and that they can end up not liking tracking because it has become adverse for them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Zephyrdog To be honest I don't know a lot about SAR tracking. I know the grid method is popular to start novice dogs. Essentially you toss your dog's favourite toy into long grass (or something high enough that the toy isn't easily visible) while your dog watches. This is supposed to help novice dogs get motivated to track. Then you systemically search the field, and have a party once your dog finds the toy!

I did not use this method however. I started with letting Echo watch my lay a short track, and I would drop food rewards every couple steps. Really seemed to work for her. But I'm doing CKC stuff.

@DobisHoundis I've heard mixed things. Some people say no tracking below freezing, others say no tracking below -15 degrees Celsius, and I've heard others say it doesn't matter. The lady who is kind of acting like my online mentor has trained several SAR dogs and now competes in CKC, and she says it doesn't matter (to a certain extent). She says dogs run and exercise heavily in cold weather, and SAR dogs may be expected to respond in winter months. She also made the argument that avalanche rescue dogs seem to have no trouble.

I think it can be hard to start novice dogs in late fall and train heavily in winter because they can become dependent on using the visual footprints in the snow instead of following a scent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.