Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been long time lurker, and I have used this forum a lot when I was deciding whether to get my first dog or not.

I finally decided to pull the trigger, and I got an awesome little corgi. I have only had him a few months but I already love him.

The only negative is that he has quite a bit of an adventurous side. To ease my concerns, I am thinking about getting one of these little devices to make me feel more comfortable.

Has anyone had any experience with them, and could they cause any problems? To me, it seems like any pet owner should have one just in case.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

-Thanks!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
if it gives you peace of mind, it okay to use it.
I don't need it though.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'd be more inclined to train a dog not to bolt through doorways and to always have the dog on lead unless you're in a fenced area.

A tracking device is not a bad idea. There is a lot to worry about when a dog decides to go AWOL. The danger of being hit by a car or hurt by another dog or predator would not be solved by a tracking device. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't have a false sense of security.

Glad to hear you got a dog. Corgis are pretty adorable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be more inclined to train a dog not to bolt through doorways and to always have the dog on lead unless you're in a fenced area.

A tracking device is not a bad idea. There is a lot to worry about when a dog decides to go AWOL. The danger of being hit by a car or hurt by another dog or predator would not be solved by a tracking device. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't have a false sense of security.

Glad to hear you got a dog. Corgis are pretty adorable.
I of course will train him to not bolt, but maybe some situation will arise where something terrible happens, like he sees a rabbit, or a big rumble of thunder goes off.

I went ahead and bought the little device, and it came today. It's pretty cool that works with your phone and my little buddy doesn't mind at all. (it's tiny)

Thanks again for the advice :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
There are some great options out there. I've been looking into a gps tracker as well cause sometimes things just go wrong. But the one you're looking at doesn't seem to mention ranger, it mentions Bluetooth so I'd set the Range at no more then 25 yards. However if you're will to pay more there is one called TAGG. Which runs off of Verizons cell network and works anywhere they have service. You do have to pay 5-10 a month though but it offers alot of other features, not just tracking.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Correction. It says it can track up to 100 feet. Knowing Bluetooth that's best case. Thinking of mthe dog. She case easily move a mile in about 15 mins and not even be running so that 100feet range is limited to about a minute of a dog walking fast until it's out of range. So personally I'd pass on that one.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Get it, but consider it 'Plan F' when training fails, physical barriers like fence and leash fails, etc.

Don't get in a situation where you think 'my dog doesn't recall reliably, but we'll be okay to take off leash at this nature park because he has the GPS thing'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts