Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Anyone here experience TPLO Surgery? Can you share some of your experience and what to do after?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey guys! Anyone here experience TPLO Surgery? Can you share some of your experience and what to do after?
Yes, one of my dogs has had this surgery.

I can answer any questions you may have, at least within my own experience with my dog.
It is very expensive to have it done. Very! But I had it done for him in a veterinary hospital with full attendance and all the precautions because it is a very technical procedure. The surgery was four hours long. They cannot repair a torn ligament in the knee by reattaching it or putting in a line or something because it will only come apart again.

The only way to make the repair permanent is to put a metal plate in the knee. I had confidence in the hospital and the surgeon. they explained everything to me thoroughly. My dog did fine.

Afterward there was crate rest and no going for a walk for about 10 days if I remember right. Then, a protocol to follow for about a month, how far and how long he could walk, just a little longer each day, and then walking for 30 seconds, trotting for 15 seconds, and so on. He came through it with shining colors.

That was a few years ago now. He is now an elder dog and I notice he's very careful with that leg and slightly favors it, but he doesn't limp on it. I would say the surgery was a complete success, and more than worth it because without it my dog would have had to go on three legs the rest of his life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aww that's a nice story. Glad to hear your dog recovers fully and didn't have any complications. what surgery suit did you use? other than the cone of shame?

·
Registered
687 Posts
aww that's a nice story. Glad to hear your dog recovers fully and didn't have any complications. what surgery suit did you use? other than the cone of shame?
He didn't really need a cone because he was not a fanatic about trying to get to the spot. So instead I put a soft "donut" style collar on him and he didn't seem to mind it very much. Those work fine for dogs who are not overly persistent about trying to get to the stitches. I also kept him distracted a lot of the time and only put the donut around his neck when I was not there hanging out with him.

I slept on the living room floor with him for 2 weeks because I didn't want to chance his being on the bed and maybe trying to jump off, and didn't want him to be alone. Of course, all the other animals joined us. :)

Now these days I never let him jump up onto or off anything, I lift him in and out of the car, the bed, etc. and I have big cushions next to the couch that he uses to get up and off the couch. I think it's necessary to look after the dog in a more careful way after the surgery unless it is done at a pretty young age, because afterward there's always the chance of re-injury.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
My dog had tightrope (a stronger version of the lateral suture) last year, if that's at all on your horizon. It's a better option for smaller dogs or ones that aren't as active (my boy is quite active but only 30 lbs).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts