Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. We adopted Kimber on Monday and my husband said he only wanted him to have bones because otherwise he would chew on the kids toys because he wouldn't no the difference. HeHe I tried to worn him that puppies will get bored if you only give them one type of bone to chew on. Right now he gets rawhide bones in the house and he has a squeaky toy and tug rope that he plays with outside. This morning he ate a shoe and was nipping at the couch. SO I was FINALLY able to convince my husband :hammer: that Kimber NEEDS toys and we will be able to train him to know what toys are his. So I am wondering how many toys are appropriate and which types others have found enjoyable.

When we adopted Kelsey I bought her a few things and realized she is perfectly happy just chewing on bone. She never played with any of the toys. So I don't want to buy to many and I don't want to buy things he probably won't play with. So what does everyone think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am going through the same thing with my little adoptee...my last dog didn't like toys, so it's been a long time since I was able to indulge in buying doggy toys, and I have to admit I'm enjoying it. I started out conservatively with a couple of small stuffies, which my guy is enjoying, and a few rawhides, some of which he likes and others which he doesn't (boy have those gone up in price in the last decade). I think it takes a certain amount of experimentation. Riley likes to shred things, and now is enjoying some big stuffies (almost his size--he's a chi mix) which a friend gave me, and it's hysterical to watch him dragging them around. Some dogs go wild for the squeakers that are in some toys, to the extent that they will dig them out of toys, and you have to watch that they don't swallow them. Riley doesn't seem to particularly like the noisemakers, though he will come running if I squeak them for him. He also really likes his tiny rope toy, but balls and kong toys don't seem to do anything for him--apparently the non-shredding texture is not exciting enough for him.

I would suggest you start out with a small varied selection, with different textures, and see which ones he takes to. You can also bring him to the pet store and try waving/squeaking a few for him and see what he reacts to, I did this with Riley.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can also bring him to the pet store and try waving/squeaking a few for him and see what he reacts to, I did this with Riley.
Thats a great idea!!!

My daugther is a stuffed animal queen she has tons of them. Do you think I should buy him is own stuffed animals or would that cause a problem? He has one squeaky ball that he likes. I can't wait to go shopping for him. I never get to buy anything for Kelsey except the bones LoL so I am excited too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally feel that you can buy him his own stuffies and just be watchful that your daughter keeps hers out of his way. I know there is a school of thought that says never give dogs an old shoe/sock/whatever to chew on because they will go after YOURS, but I don't believe this. As has been discussed elsewhere, dogs lack our capability to GENERALIZE, therefore they don't necessarily see "shoe" the way we do, and identify every shoe by it's shape or intended purpose. I suspect they mostly identify by smell, and since we can't understand what they're smelling, we can't predict how they will generalize, although chances are good that is he has own smell on something, that's easily identifiable as his. So, even if the dog goes after one of your shoes, you can just gently correct him and substitute his own toy. I've never had a problem with this approach. Some dogs (like people) are "collectors," and really like having "possessions" and others don't seem to care, and others are only interested if you are actually throwing with it or whatever. Riley likes to collect his toys in a little pile, sometimes, and bizarrely enough, so does my cat.

I've given Riley a couple of my old stuffies as his own and he has yet to overstep that boundary. If your dog likes balls, then he will probably like Kong toys and other rollie-type toys, and a really really good one to get is one of those that dispenses food as the dog rolls it around. You have to sort of show them how it works, but for a food oriented dog, it's a great investment because they can entertain themselves with it. And it might help him learn patience around the food issue, as well. Some of these are more challenging than others...I've never had much luck with the buster cube, it can be a little tricky for the dog to get it, but there are others that are simpler.

Have fun with it and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
kong toys are my #1 recommendation, they are very usefull, you can stuff them with different flavors, freeze them after and it takes the dog quite a while to work all the stuff out of them. stuffed animals are okay if your dog doesn't consume any part of them...i let mine have one from time to time, make sure it doesn't have any "hard" parts he can choke on or the little bean things in it...then you can let him shred them.
stuffies and squeaky toys last at most a couple of minutes with him, and that is the "heavy duty" ones, usually just a matter of seconds....you have to be careful with the squeaky ones b/c some dogs like to take the squeaker out and chew on that....they make these "fire hose" type things that are pretty cool too...

make sure that if you don't want him to chew on something, he doesn't have access to it, end of story....there is some training you can do with him, but it all takes time and puppies chew...a lot...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
make sure that if you don't want him to chew on something, he doesn't have access to it, end of story....there is some training you can do with him, but it all takes time and puppies chew...a lot...
I agree with that 100% I tell the kids if Kimber tears up your toys it is because you left them out so he will NOT be punished and the toys will not be replaced LOL.

I am getting ready to go to the pet store now. I will let everyone know what we get!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
yay yay yay...i love going pet store shopping, i let clover help pick his toys out and i make him carry them around the store...he had the last one shredded before we even paid for it...lol...i told the lady i was sorry for the poor advertising that we were doing for the toy...i think we are going tomorrow!!!!!!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I vote kongs until you can find his sweet spot...most dogs like stuffies, but one of mine eats the stuffing...also be careful with the rope toy, mine eat the rope too. :)

I know there is a school of thought that says never give dogs an old shoe/sock/whatever to chew on because they will go after YOURS, but I don't believe this. As has been discussed elsewhere, dogs lack our capability to GENERALIZE, therefore they don't necessarily see "shoe" the way we do, and identify every shoe by it's shape or intended purpose. I suspect they mostly identify by smell, and since we can't understand what they're smelling, we can't predict how they will generalize, although chances are good that is he has own smell on something, that's easily identifiable as his.
I agree :)

OH has anyone seen the new squeeky kong! I about died.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are home! He got a few squeaky toys and two rubber heavy duty bones. Kelsey even likes one of the bones!! They are enjoying their new toys right now.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I vote kongs until you can find his sweet spot...most dogs like stuffies, but one of mine eats the stuffing...also be careful with the rope toy, mine eat the rope too. :)

I agree :)

OH has anyone seen the new squeeky kong! I about died.
:eek::eek::eek: i have not!! now i can't wait to go tomorrow...lol...
We are home! He got a few squeaky toys and two rubber heavy duty bones. Kelsey even likes one of the bones!! They are enjoying their new toys right now.
yay!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
oh yeah, i forgot to suggest this..duh! another thing that i do with clover is rotate through a few different toys at a time, switching them out (unless he's destroyed them...lol) when he doesn't play with them, then it is like new toys all the time...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts