Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my parents' home toys NEVER lasted. It was never worth the money to get anything with a squeaker or stuffing because they would be shredding within minutes.

After taking Athena, my black lab, to live with me when I moved out I spoiled her with toys (of course). I then realized that the destructiveness was gone; she never once pulled stuffing out of an animal and hardly ever even ripped any toys aside from chew toys (she did however break squeakers from using them too much lol).

Recently I've added a baby mutt, Nala, to the family and she is just as much a handful as she is cute. Unfortunately Nala's favorite thing to do is pull every last piece of stuffing out of every last toy. She loves nothing more than shred anything she can get her teething little teeth on.

We do have plenty of chew toys, they get frozen yogurt cubes and we try to discourage as much shredding as possible but at the rate she's going we might as well not buy any stuffed toys whatsoever.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deter her from wanting to shred things and to use them as they were intended? Regardless she's still my little angel but it'd be great to know if there are any solutions out here.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It's largely a thing of puppy curiosity and usually improves with age. For the first few months you may have to limit stuffed toys to use explicitly by yourself and the dog, so that they are never with the toy long enough to shred it.

Tougher toys would be better for unsupervised use. Most puzzle toys are designed in a way that makes them quite durable, such as the Kong like, the Busy Buddy line, etc. I have also found a number of Kong toys to be fairly tough. The Squeez line is good for fetch or play between dogs (left alone I could see a dog gnawing it down over time though). The Wubba is another nice, durable one. It was the first toy I felt okay leaving the lab I walk with. I've also had luck with the PlushPuppies line of products, which I believe is a subsidiary of Kyjen. And Tuff Toys. Jolly Eggs and GoNuts (exclusively online, I believe) are totally bombproof. Not cuddly by any means but definitely bombproof.

If I had to rank in order of toughness...

1) GoNuts, Jolly Egg
2) Most puzzle toys
3) Kong toys (Squeez and Wubba)
4) Tuff Toys
5) Plush Puppies

Anything from 3 onward I would not leave a young, razor toothed puppy unsupervised with, but they hold up awesomely for games of fetch, tug, or getting tag-teamed by two dogs.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the suggestions! We'll start trying some of those out :) She's pretty good about not shredding chew toys and more durable-ish things. It's just something about the stuffed/soft toys she can't resist... puppies.. so cute and yet so capable of mass destruction. Gotta love em though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toys are always a way of escape for my pets. They would just chew them till it was torn apart. I have tried of teaching them to play with them nicely but all in vain . I have to purchase two toys every month despite how much worth of money i buy they always fall apart after a couple of weeks. Guess i have to buy them every month otherwise my dog will get crazy nuts after some time without his toys.

·
Super Moderator
2,444 Posts
This is a really old thread but if your dog likes destroying toys, why not make some that are just for that purpose? Like old toilet roll tubes or newspaper scrunched up around food, and put in a box so he can rip and tear to satisfy his play style?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts