Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the forum. I know I can probably search and find similar stories but here goes. In 2016 we adopted a 6 month old rescue dog that was born in Afghanistan. The mom was found wandering the streets by some US soldiers and was pregnant. She gave birth to our current dog plus 6 others. They were all then shipped to the states for adoption. We thought we were doing a wonderful thing. We're not 100% sure what breed she is but she looks like a smaller golden retriever and we did hear she is part Afghan Kucci. She's only about 40 lbs. but strong and fast as hell. We have two boys ages 12 and 8 and she absolutely adores them; plays well, sleeps on their bed with them, cuddles to the point where she falls asleep and snores in their laps etc. She loves my wife and I as well. Other people? Forget it. Especially children. She has bitten our neighbor, our neighbor's 8 year old son, my father-in-law, a contractor working at our house and most recently me for the first time. She bit me while I was using a shovel digging up a bush in the back yard almost like she felt I was being violent to the bush. We had her stay at a kennel last summer while we went on a cruise only to pick her up and find out that another dog's tail had poked through her side of the crate she was staying in and she bit the dog's tail so bad it had to be amputated. We've spent thousands of dollars on multiple trainers and techniques and she seems to be getting worse. Our anxiety as you can imagine is also getting worse as we worry about lawsuits etc. We had a chocolate lab prior to this dog who was a saint and I have had a dog since I was a little kid so we're not new to dogs. My wife and I feel like complete and utter failures for what we feel is failing this dog we have now. The dog literally can't leave the house for walks or any kind of socialization because she can't be trusted. We crate her when we have people over because she can't be trusted. We reached out to the rescue organization to have her re-homed only to have it basically thrown back at us questioning what we have done to help the dog. She's now 4 years old and as I said appears to be getting worse. We have such envy for people who can take their dogs hiking, boating and walking. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
I'm sorry you are in this position. Our policy on advising people whose dogs have a bite history is to get professional help, we are pet lovers rather than professionals (albeit with some experience). But you said you have done that, can I ask what they suggested, what you have done?

Can you please also be really, really detailed about what leads up to the bites?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The real expensive training we went through involved a "buzz" collar. The intent was to set the adjustable buzz collar to a point where if she became distracted the pushing of the remote button on a control would act as a poke on the shoulder to refocus her attention. That seemed to work a little bit but we can't constantly walk around with a remote control hanging around our shoulder. We took her through another expensive program to socialize her but she reverted right back to being unpredictable. She gets high anxiety when kids run around, wrestle etc. Even when they are outside playing and she is inside the anxiety in her is unbelievable. Growling, barking, pacing etc. That is what spurred the biting of the neighbor kid; he was in our house playing with our son and she bit his thigh when they started wrestling. Any kind of hug between my wife and me or the kids causes her to get up and approach us while growling. I can't high five or hug my 12 year old and pat him on the back around her as she has nipped at my calf several times after doing so. But then she'll hop up on my lap if I invite her and literally snuggle, sleep and snore harder than any dog I have ever encountered in my lifetime because she runs so hot all the time and is just exhausted. I'm not sure she is "fixable" but we feel that we committed to her and can't bring her to a dog pound only to have her euthanized due to her history. I don't know if one of those boot camps where you send the dog away for weeks would work? Medication?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
Oh dear - buzz collars never resolve a problem. Ever. They may interrupt the symptoms, but as you have found the root cause remains and the fallout comes out in other ways, usually with even more undesirable behaviours.

I still don't think we know enough detail about her to properly identify where this is coming from and to be able to give meaningful help; so I also still think you need professional help. But please seek out a behaviourist who uses positive reinforcement, force free methods. If they talk about being alpha, dominance, pack leadership or punishment please walk away.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I feel your pain. While you are selling professional help as advised above, why don’t you muzzle train her? Then you might be able to walk her and let the kids have friends over without having to be as worried. Get a solid muzzle and train slowly with lots of treats. It’s especially useful for vet visits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've tried multiple muzzles as well but have not in a couple of years. Worth another shot especially with that tactic. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts