Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a 5 month old Golden Mountain Doodle (Golden Retriever, Bernese Mountain, Poodle) and we have been cutting his coat with a 3FC blade utilizing the Andis UltraEdge. His face was getting super long and the 3 just wouldn't cut it going in the direction of the hair.

We stupidly bought a 7FC thinking that it would leave a half inch of hair (no idea why so don't ask.. lol.. Dumb mistake).

Used the 7 on his face with one pass and was like.. OMG!... Couldn't just leave him with one short patch so we had to do his whole face with it. Oh my gosh, his cuteness is gone! He looks like a grown up poodle lab mix! Ahhhh.. Ok ok, he is still cute... lol.. but........ I like his face to be a bit fluffy and boxy but now it is long and pointy..

Suggestions? Aside from bring him to the groomer from now on!.. :p

·
Registered
290 Posts
Depending on his coat type, I might not clip him period. He has two double-coated breeds in him and just because he's mixed with Poodle doesn't mean he has a coat type that can be clipped without being damaged or encouraging overheating.

Otherwise, trial and error. It will grow back eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, true, it WILL grow back.. I just don't want to make the same mistake! lol.. Maybe there is a better blade to use?

He doesn't really shed so he has to be clipped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a professional dog groomer, I rarely use a blade on the muzzle. Just shears, usually thinning shears to give the face a natural appearance. Unless you are going for a poodle look, which from the sound of it you did not want lol. Also be super careful with the 7 blade, that blade is very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My Goldendoodle is five months old and was looking so scraggly that I decided to give her her first trim. I did her all over with a 5F blade and she looks great. I am afraid I do not like whiskers so trimmed her face with a 10 blade, leaving her some eyebrows. It may not be the way most Goldendoodles are trimmed but as they are not a purebred I feel they can be trimmed any way a person prefers. I do need to tidy her up more in some places but could not find my thinning shears so will have to buy some tomorrow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just curious, how does your dog react to having its whiskers removed? I've heard it can be painful, but more than anything don't they need them as part of their sensory experience?

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.