Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in a current battle with food allergies (still not sure what he is allergic too) with my puppy. Hes been itching and we recently discovered that it was probably allergies.
We all have been noticing that the top of his snout smells like dog poop but his breath smells FINE. it actually doesn't smell bad at all. this is the only area on his body that smells this bad. we have been having issues with him being so stinky, but we've never smelled this before.
i recently read that this could be a sign of food allergies. has anyone else had these issues?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Never heard of this. Does he go out in the yard and push around his poop (my late lab mix did that)? What food are you feeding? How old is he?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nose looks completely normal and fine. he's not itching it at all really. i havent seen him push any poop or eat any poop in the yard and i watch him very closely (i don't leash him so i have to watch him carefully). he's about 7/8 months and he's eating IAMS.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Could the stench be coming from his sinus cavities? If he has a sinus infection (somewhat more likely if he's stuffy from allergies) the stink could be from an infection.

I'd certainly have the vet check him out. Bad smells are often a sign of a medical issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so then maybe this is a sign that they are not actually food allergies that he has..but environmental? he does seem extremely stuffy. and he sounds very congested but the vet has always said its normal. it doesn't sound very normal :(

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Smells like poop... ?

Is there any discharge? Agreed in sounds like infection, but I'm leaning towards a yeast infection... potentially secondary to allergies. As I mentioned in the other post, I think an impression smear of the area is needed... to tell if it's yeast and start the pup on an anti-fungal (ORALLY!!!).

And, again, a biopsy may be helpful in this case...

Another thing on the table is potential auto-immune but the dog is a tad young for it. Also young for an environmental allergy.

Has any general blood work been done?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they did all of his shots and first examination. the only thing that came back was worms a few months ago. we had him on intense dewormer treatment for about 4-6 weeks. his poop has improved drastically and he's been eating a lot more. they said they did all necessary blood work.

the smell actually smells like poop. LITERALLY. its in the middle area between the nose and the forehead. he doesn't smell like yeast at all.

i dont know what to tell my vet if i were to take him again. do bloodwork? i just want to be able to go in and tell them i've put my dog on some sort of hypo-allergenic diet so i've done all i could do on MY part.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I, unfortunately, think your dog really needs a hydrolyzed (and unfortunately prescription) food rather than messing around with store brands. Your dog is very very uncomfortable.

Have you been to a vet dermatologist? That may be a better way to spend your money... if you live near any vet schools or specialty hospitals you should fine one.

The thought is that if your pup has any underlying conditions that it could be manifesting through the skin and not allowing the skin to protect itself. The skin normally has some bacteria and mites that live there peacefully... so if they body isn't happy, they run rampant.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I'd be listening to Holly here and trying to find a second opinion, perhaps with a doggy skin doctor as suggested. My sense is your current vet is not taking your observations seriously. Owners frequently are the best source of information about a dog. If your vet is not tuned in, and you feel frustrated, there is nothing impolite about getting another doctor involved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts