Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Below are my dog symptoms and current condition.

Loss half his weight over 3wks period. Hes at 12 lbs now.Shed about 1/3 of his Fur.

Not active, lethargic.Constipated.Skin infection near his rectum.Eating and drinking is fine.

Took him to the vet this morning, they gave him antibiotic injection and tablet to take home. And eye drops because he got mucous in his eyes. They also tested him for heartworms and parasite which were negative.

Can anyone tell me why he loss so much weight. I dont think a skin infection is the cause plus he's eating fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I know of a few medical problems that would fit if he were having diarrhea but the constipation doesn't fit. The ones I was thinking of it EPI, Diabetes, and Hyperthyroidism, but both EPI and Hyperthyroidism usually include diarrhea. Diabetes may fit, but he'd most likely also be having increased thirst, increased urination and his breath may have a sweet or fruity smell.

Dog Diabetes Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I agree with @Rain id get tested for thyroid problems and that would account for hair loss maybe though are other causes, EPI and diabetes. Diabetes can be ruled out by dipstick urine test and full urine test sent to lab but id get blood work done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention, sometimes his stools are formed and sometimes runny.

Im thinking diabetes too but hes eating like a horse so idk whats with the weight loss.

How much would it cost to have him tested for epi, hyperthyrodism or dia?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Forgot to mention, sometimes his stools are formed and sometimes runny.

Im thinking diabetes too but hes eating like a horse so idk whats with the weight loss.

How much would it cost to have him tested for epi, hyperthyrodism or dia?
no idea on cost that depends on the vets prices.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darn it. Wish i knew sooner. Couldve him tested this morning at the clinic. Not sure why they didnt offer those tests to begin with. Maybe my vet is just incompetent?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Idk, hard to say :\

How old is your dog?

It sounds like there could be something seriously wrong....It's absolutely worth getting a second opinion from a different vet if you feel this vet did not perform enough testing, or misdiagnosed. A full panel of bloodwork is very important and I feel it should have been offered to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr came in to look at him for less than 60 secs. The rest was done by the tech.

I dont know his age. I took him off the street ten years ago. Maybe hes about 12?

Btw hes panting at times when hes at rest.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sounds like diabetes, hyperthyroid, Addisons or Cushings to me. Full blood panel is absolutely necessary and should have been offered.

The eating like a horse, but still losing weight is a dead give away for diabetes. But, diabetes and Cushing's often go hand in hand. Take him back to the vet (another one if you don't feel comfortable with the original vet you took him to) and demand a full blood and urine work up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Today his stool is a bit more formed and less straining so that was good. Will have to wait to see if it stays the same over the next couple of days.

I'll take him to another vet by mid week if his condition doesnt improve. And definitely will ask for full panel blood test.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You definitely need a Vet to work with. As already suggested, if you don't trust the Vet you are going to, its time to find one, you do trust and can work with. The results from the tests etc. that have already been done are yours, so you can take those with you to another Vet. Unfortunately any medical procedure is expensive, whether its for a human or a canine. Talk to neighbors and other dog owners, about their Vet experiences. I found the Vet we use for Samantha, via neighbors with dogs that had nothing but good things to say about him, and after six years, I too am very pleased with his care.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know where you are but here in Southern California what we'd call a "senior wellness panel" costs about $95 - $150 depending on where you go. The tests they do will rule some things out and other things IN. I would think any vet would have offered something similar. If you've had him 10 years, and he wasn't a baby when you found him, your guy is a senior for sure, and at the very least a full panel would give you a baseline for what's going on with him.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Probably time for him to be checked out by an internist. They tend to look, in far more depth than a GP Vet does. Don't know where you are located, but in this area there are several animal specialty hospitals/clinics that have Vets that specialize in specific medical specialties.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts