Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Decided to join the forum after realizing I keep ending up here on all my gazillion puppy google searches.

I'm a first time fur mama to a beautiful Boston Terrier/French Bulldog mix. He's 9 weeks old today, and I got him at 6.5 weeks. BEFORE YOU START, I did everything to make sure I got him at 8 weeks, but the seller was so overwhelmed as this was an accidental litter and she was moving, so she practically begged me to just take him early. So there, criticism and looking down on me is really unnecessary. I realize the implications of getting him this young.

Anyway, my question is the following:

Fred (or Fred Astaire, if you want to call him by his full name...) is pretty good with his crate. He doesn't particularly enjoy being in there too long unless he is asleep, but if occupied, he does well. This is normal as he is still a little baby. :) He does sleep through the night though, and goes into his crate when told to (most of the time).

When we're hanging out though, I feel bad having him lay down on the cold, hard kitchen floor. He seems to gravitate to his pee pad (a result of having gotten him too young and shot-less... sadly) for a soft and warmer place to lay down.

I have a great comfy dog bed waiting for him, but I'm just not sure when the right time to introduce him to it would be... What do you recommend? Should I get him hooked on his crate even more before I bring in the bed? Will the bed put a halt on the crate training? What's the best time to introduce the bed?

Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It depends on a couple of factors, the most important being how likely he is to chew on and consume fabrics and stuffing. That could kill him, and even if he isn't inclined to chew now, he might become inclined to chew when he's teething.

The other issue is that he will pee and poop on a bed at least a few times before he's housetrained (if it's in his crate). So if you are going to give him something soft to lay on, I'd suggest old blankets from the Salvation Army or Goodwill rather than a dog bed, but I would be very careful about the chewing issue.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would just give him a towel or a small throw rug because it will probably get peed on. You want something that is washable. If he does start peeing on it remove it you don't want him to think that any soft surface is for going potty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies :)

With regards to chewing, he is definitely a chewer, but he tends to just gnaw at stuff and not destroy/eat (except grass, of course...). That is definitely something I will keep an eye out for, especially as he starts to teeth.

I don't plan on putting the bed in his crate though, I want it more as a hang out spot for him outside his bed. He has a soft flannel pillow thing in his crate, and if I bring it out, he lays on it, but it's a bit small... He has peed on it twice though, before we brought teh crate into my room and I didn't hear his crying from having peed himself :(

So, with that, you both recommend I wait until he is completely done teething??

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Well, if you're around to check up on him, you could let him have the bed, but I wouldn't give it to him unsupervised at least until he's done teething. Look at it this way, yes the floor is cold and hard, but intestinal blockage is much, much worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed completely. He's never out of his crate and unsupervised. We're lucky enough to have been able to take time off work, so that is not an issue.

I'm just wondering what the typical time is to introduce a dog bed, that's all.

Thanks again. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts