Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to your forum and hope to fidn it a wealth of information and helpful friends. I have a 1 yo chorkie. He is/was paper trained when I got him. I also have a 3yo Shitzu who is housebroken and uses the doggie door. The chorkie goes out the doggie door, but only poops and pees outside some of the time. I was hoping he would "get it" by patterning after my shitzu. He gets real close to the paper, pees or poops on the edge. Now he has taken to peeing and pooping elsewhere in the house. In the past I have housebroken dogs by kenneling them for a sort time. I didn't do it with this guy because he was already paper trained:confused:. Is it too late to do this with this guy? I know he won't like it and will probably hate it and bark and cry all the time, but I am at my wits end. I would hate to give him up for this reason. Help!

·
Registered
94 Posts
First, let me welcome you to the forum Weezer. Now, onto your problem. First, take up the paper completely, it is not doing your efforts any good to allow them to still use the paper as well, it is actually confusing him more than anything.

I would practice crate training your dog. Don't just throw him into it but start him out slowly and build him up until he's used to it. Also, although the doggie door is a great creation, until your dog is completely house broken I would personally take him outside and praise him when he relieves himself outdoors instead of in. Unless you catch you dog actually having an accident in the house do not scold him for it, in reality you only have about 1.3 seconds to correct your dog, after the fact they have no idea what they're getting in trouble for, they just know that you're upset about something.

I would also start you dog on a schedule of taking him outside about every hour to go potty until he starts getting the hang of things and not give him full access to the house until he is completely potty broken, instead confine him to areas of the house where you can supervise them. This way whenever you sense him getting ready to have an accident in the house you can take him outside in time. As he starts getting the hang of things you can allow him to have more free roam of the house.

I believe it's never too late to potty train a dog, but since your dog is already a year old it might take a little longer because you have to undo his bad habit and retrain him with what you want. But it is very possible, just remain patient and consistant. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree completely with FancyPaws. We had the exact same problem as you, except no doggie door. We are still in the process of "re-training" our dog. Every now and then we still have an accident but we've been keeping her confined within an x-pen and allowing her to run free when we are able to watch her like a hawk. This has done wonders for progressing her training.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, I will start this weekend. I am off for 3 days and the weather is supposed to be beautiful here. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
it's never too late to train your dog.i agree too with fancypaws, you can re-training your dog to pee n pup in the place you want.but to train older need more patient and consistently.

you need a schedule to take him outside, after he ate or in the morning to pee n poo, if he success to doing what you want, don't forget to give him a threat and approbation, it makes him happy and know that he do the right thing and make his master happy.^^

hope it helps

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
it's never too late to train your dog.i agree too with fancypaws, you can re-training your dog to pee n pup in the place you want.but to train older need more patient and consistently.

you need a schedule to take him outside, after he ate or in the morning to pee n poo, if he success to doing what you want, don't forget to give him a threat and approbation, it makes him happy and know that he do the right thing and make his master happy.^^

hope it helps
???:ponder:huh? 'xplain plz?:eyeroll:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Criosphynx...I think they meant give him a treat and praise so the dog knows their doing the right thing...that's how i'm taking it anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts