Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! My 3 month old puppy is doing pretty great when inside, but outside, he's like a different animal, doesn't listen. Leave it doesn't work (he eats grass, wood chips, and especially dirt). Nothing will tear him away from that.

That's problem number 1 -- but related to that, we can tell when he has to go Poop, he gets super wound up and crazy and runs to the door. However, once outside, even though we KNOW he has to go, he just gets way too distracted and when he starts to sniff to find a spot, he instead starts eating everything and forgets the matter at hand. It's getting extremely frustrating, as he continues to have the zoomies and craziness until he relieves himself, which sometimes takes FOREVER.

Any tips??

Also -- when he has to go out, and we try to put leash on, he bites and growls and barks and makes it near impossible to get the leash on without hand injuries :( Could also use some words of wisdom on how to deal with that.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
906 Posts
How are you training him? Do you give him rewards - pets/praise/treats - when he potties outside?

Also -- when he has to go out, and we try to put leash on, he bites and growls and barks and makes it near impossible to get the leash on without hand injuries Could also use some words of wisdom on how to deal with that.
Have you ever smacked him on the snout or head, or put your hand around his muzzle, or done anything that might have been scary/painful around his head? Often, dogs who do this have learned that a hand coming toward them can mean 'bad things about to happen'. If this is his reason for growling/barking/biting, then you'll need to counter condition him to hands coming toward him, and teach him it means good things and not bad things.

It's also possible that for some reason he's decided that this means "play time" and this is him playing. If that's the case, then the goal would be to teach him calm behavior when the leash comes out.

If you can let us know which scenario you need advice on, we'll be happy to oblige. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do give praise and treats when he potties outside (we'll say a cue when he's about to, and then praise/treat him when he goes)

No, we've never smacked him on the nose or snout (or anywhere), and at other times, he's fine having our hands near him in that area. I do think he thinks it means play time for some reason, but at the same time, he really wants to get outside, and it's almost like he doesn't want the leash on or something.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
At 3 months, it can be very hard to keep them focused. What I've always done is take them out on a leash only, so they're under control, tell them to go potty and ignore any and all other behavior. Generally if they keep wanting to run around, I stand still and simply wait them out. They will eventually get bored of standing in the same place and go potty. And never EVER mix potty breaks with playtime. Once they're older it's not such a big deal, but when they're young if you do then you're setting yourself up for very long and frustrating potty breaks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We do give praise and treats when he potties outside (we'll say a cue when he's about to, and then praise/treat him when he goes)
Great! This will work, and it will also take time.

I do think he thinks it means play time for some reason, but at the same time, he really wants to get outside, and it's almost like he doesn't want the leash on or something.....
It could be that when he sees the leash, he gets excited because it means he's going out! And so he starts exhibiting his excitement in the way most natural to him. Teaching him to be calm will help a lot, I believe, as well as teaching him that biting/mouthing is not acceptable. Here are a couple of stickies to help you out with that.

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/impulse-control-calmness-168218/

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 3 months, it can be very hard to keep them focused. What I've always done is take them out on a leash only, so they're under control, tell them to go potty and ignore any and all other behavior. Generally if they keep wanting to run around, I stand still and simply wait them out. They will eventually get bored of standing in the same place and go potty. And never EVER mix potty breaks with playtime. Once they're older it's not such a big deal, but when they're young if you do then you're setting yourself up for very long and frustrating potty breaks.
Thanks for the advice! My problem with this method is that I can't just ignore him, because he will eat the grass/dirts/sticks on the ground and I don't want to allow that as could be dangerous. I do always have him on leash and do not allow play time, but he finds other naughty ways to entertain himself even when just standing there.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! This will work, and it will also take time.

It could be that when he sees the leash, he gets excited because it means he's going out! And so he starts exhibiting his excitement in the way most natural to him. Teaching him to be calm will help a lot, I believe, as well as teaching him that biting/mouthing is not acceptable. Here are a couple of stickies to help you out with that.

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/impulse-control-calmness-168218/

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/
THank you, I will check those out!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks for the advice! My problem with this method is that I can't just ignore him, because he will eat the grass/dirts/sticks on the ground and I don't want to allow that as could be dangerous. I do always have him on leash and do not allow play time, but he finds other naughty ways to entertain himself even when just standing there.....
I have an idea -- while standing there, as soon as he goes to eat a stick/leaf/dirt/etc., walk one or two steps away while still ignoring him (no talking, no eye contact). It's not enough movement to be "fun", but perhaps enough to distract/prevent him from eating the ground. You might have to walk in a circle to keep it boring enough, but maybe worth a try?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts