Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So, an unfortunate incident occurred approximately 9-10 weeks ago when I was grooming our then 14-week-old Golden Retriever puppy. As I was trimming the hair around his paw pads, he suddenly turned his head and licked the scissors as I was making a cut (brand new, sharp grooming scissors), causing me to accidentally slice his tongue. I couldn't believe it. In all of my 12 years of grooming our Goldens, nothing like this has ever happened before. I felt BEYOND terrible. Since it happened right at 5 pm on a Friday evening and our regular vet was just about to close and couldn't see us until Monday, we took him to the 24-hour ER clinic, where they put in a few sutures and put him on antibiotics for a week just to be safe. About 2 days after having the stitches put in, the one at the very tip of his tongue came out. We took him back to the ER clinic and the vet assured us that he really didn't need the stitch replaced and that the tiny slice right at the tip of his tongue would seal back together as it develops scar tissue and heals and will be just fine. Well, it has now been a little over 2 months and this slice has not come back together at all. It looks exactly the same as it did 2 months ago. It's very small, but at the same time noticeable whenever he sticks his tongue out. He is now 5 months old and is a show prospect, so I REALLY want to get this fixed. It doesn't seem to affect him at all, but it's really bugging me. I'm also getting tired of having to explain what happened to people when they see it! Is there any chance that this little slit at the tip of his tongue could still come back together and is just taking a really long time to do so, or is it going to require an actual repair by the vet? I have attached a picture that shows this little slice.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts