Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wonderful 5month female puppy called Cookie that I have been trying to toilet train. We use the indoor method with pads in the same place and in the same room. To start with this is the only room she has access to. This worked straight away and still does, However, as soon as we open it up outside this room (another 1-2rooms) she is hit and miss as to if she goes back to the pad or not. The doors are always open so she does have access. If she does mistake in the wrong room and you shout she runs straight through into the correct room as if she knows what she has done. I have tried going back to limiting her to that room with no problems but it's when we open it up again we are struggling to get her to always go back even with lots of praise and treats when she's does.

In all other areas she is just amazing!

Any advise or help would be great

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

I personally never got on with using a pad for our dog as I think it is in effect, teaching them to pee in the house. What happened with our pup is that she eventually started peeing on anything on the floor - a piece of paper, magazine, sweater etc. She still does this now and then, at over 1 year old. I think a routine every hour, of going outside with them to the same spot works so much better. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
By shouting you are only teaching her not to pee/poop in front of you. Not that it's inappropriate to potty indoors. Please stop the shouting/reaction to mistakes. She runs because you scared her, not because "she knows she did something wrong."

Are you reinforcing her going on the pad with a treat? You should be. I also find that pad training, as @fetchdoggy said, is hit or miss. The dog just learns that it's okay to potty inside. Often they mistake anything that looks/feels like the pad on the floor as the right place to go. That can mean peeing on bath mats and clothing left on the floor, etc.

Will you want her on pads forever? If not, I would stop with the pad training and start taking her out on a schedule and reinforcing pottying outside with her favorite treat. With this method you get a dog who asks to go outside, because they want that reinforcer. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts