Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Love the peacefulness of that photo @JudyN
The weather report for this morning said clear and crisp but we got grey and murky again....Still , we had planned a trip to a local nature reserve so thats what we did.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh wow.. we havent had snow this year, Murphy didnt mind it last year but what George will do is anyones guess he doesnt like water or mud so snow would be interesting!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hubby was telling me about his walk this morning.... 'He was on lead, so I had to go where he wanted to go...'

He's not quite grasped the whole point of a lead, has he? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Its grey its pouring with rain and a walk is the last thing we really wanted to do but, the boys want to walk in any weather so off we went and look at the reward we got...

·
Registered
255 Posts
We have had some great walks this week despite the weather.. This morning the boys posed for a nice BFF photo but then a biscuit appeared and Murphy wanted to make sure he was first in the queue!

RSCN3018.JPG
DSCN3011.JPG
RSCN3018.JPG DSCN3011.JPG

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was so proud of George this week . We were out on a walk and suddenly three deer appeared in the field to our right. We stood still in the hope of a photo and kept our fingers crossed that George wouldnt go into full hunt mode which includes him snorting like a demented coffee perculator, whining screaming howling and clawing at the ground trying to get at them. They came up and crossed the path about 10 yards in front of us so he had a clear view.. We have been working for nearly a year to get him used to deer and to learn to ignore them so you can imagine I was overjoyed when he just sat there quivering from excitement but remaining totally still and quiet.. Its been a long road but finally we seem to be seeing some rewards!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well done George! Though you do realise, getting him to be quiet while quivering in excitement instead of making a right hullaballoo is really training him to be a better hunter?;) It's also more what I would think of as full hunt mode.

We had a lovely walk this morning. I was up and ready a bit earlier than usual so walked with OH down the trailway till he split off to go to work (this always bothers Jasper who tells me 'Mum, Dad's wandering off again, he can't be trusted), then we continued to Upton Heath. There, Jasper wanted to go along all the tiny muddy paths only used by wildlife, but I was happy to indulge him. We met a woman who gave him a treat and then went on to fill some bird feeders she hangs off trees on the heath - whether the heath wardens are happy about this 'interfering with nature' is another matter. She was quite surprised when I said we'd have to split up then because in his mind, bird seed is still food.

·
Registered
255 Posts
@JudyN I think we have accepted that George will never be off the lead so being quiet although full hunting mode is a better alternative than the howling and yelling and screaming that he was doing.
We know he (and Murphy)are and always will be hunting dogs...

·
Registered
199 Posts
@JudyN I think we have accepted that George will never be off the lead so being quiet although full hunting mode is a better alternative than the howling and yelling and screaming that he was doing.
Oh definitely - I much prefer it when we encounter a deer and Jasper is completely switched on, motionless and just waiting for me to release him to do his job (fat chance) to when we meet a cat and he goes into 'AAARRGGHHH, HATE, MUST KILL!!!!' mode!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I’m looking after two huskies this week and the weather has been terrible most of the time, so unfortunately I haven’t been inspired to take a lot of pictures.

But today the weather was great, even the sun was out and we had a lovely walk.
11B64665-7B89-4A24-AB4B-F0EA8CB251F5.jpeg
38B44833-F724-4B93-A7B6-E911ED115F5E.jpeg

I live at the owner’s house and there’s no forest around here what so ever. There’s only fields and I really miss walking in the forest, especially since the stormy weather, I feel like i’m about to blow away when I’m walking in the fields ? However, there’s a forest you can drive to but since I don’t have a drivers license I haven’t been able to. But today I brought a friend who could drive me and we took a walk in the forest. Not gonna lie, It really stresses me out when someone else is walking a dog, according to me, wrongly (he got to walk one of the dogs). So I would’ve preferred to walk them alone, but it was nice to finally walk in the forest again?
2716AC64-045B-4F0A-B4AF-B696471B40A9.jpeg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, Timber just about gave me a heart attack this morning. We are in the Scottish Borders and the river Tweed is running quite fast and quite high. There is a nice walk along the bank, and as T hates water he has never shown any sign of going anywhere near to the edge. He also has never had any interest in chasing sticks.

However. Apparently a stick being carried downstream in the water is a whole new thing. He was running right on the edge of the bank and darting towards the fast flowing river to try to catch the wretched stick. Fortunately he recalled and was on lead for the rest of the walk. But what a fright - he would have been swept away.

He is dozing now, completely oblivious to the drama.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I love walking in the forest always have done I was so surprised last year to hear that forest bathing was a thing.
A shame you had to share such a lovely walk with someone else but at least you had a walk among the trees.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts