Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our senior dog Poppy is on heart medication and has to wait 1 hour before she can have breakfast. So the pups first go into the back yard for their business, she gets her medication and we all settle in the living room to while away that hour.

The dogs are playing with their toys and each other. Toby being almost 21 weeks old can still get a little rough when he gets very excited. My husband and I are right there talking about the movie from last night, watching them as they play. A little game of rough housing ensues, Poppy is initiating play as much as the little guy, but suddenly she yelped.
She stopped...he stopped....she made a few steps away from him, shook herself and jumped up beside me on to the couch. She is fine, and is laying down. I talk softly to her, and tell her she is a good girl.

Little guy (our little fox) is sitting in his soft bed, one ear bent back and looks on. He then jumps up beside her and starts licking her, gently on the top of her head and inside her ear, back to the top of her head. There is a lot of hair to lick with her Schnauzer-Poodle mix fur, and it looks hilarious as he is trying to deal with all that hair. But he continues as if he were saying "Sorry Poppy, Toby is good now".

Just thinking about it makes me smile, maybe it brings you a smile too :)

· Registered
829 Posts
Awwwwwww so sweet! Absolutely love it. You have wonderful doggies.

Just goes to show us that, of course, dogs have feelings and emotions and compassion beyond belief.

I love when my Puma pup gently goes over to lil Sparky at times to let him know that she is all good with him now. Warms my heart to see her do that---AND even more to watch Sparky accept this from her.

They have had issues and a lot of broken trust between them so it is ultra sweet to witness them expressing their "new" safe feelings to each other.

Thanks for sharing this sweet story with us all, @Littlefox!

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much AthenaLove! :)
If only everyone would be able to see how true this is what you are saying!!!

Toby comes across as a rambunctious, confident puppy, but really he is a sensitive soul with insecurities. I feel these dogs need the most patience and loving care to help them grow into relaxed, well rounded dogs. We work a lot trying to give him more confidence and trust, but truly, other dogs are their best teachers.

Yesterday for example, we visited our grand-puppies. Both of them are mini dachshunds as well, 8 and 5 months old. Toby loves playing with the 5 month old, a female, since they are both the same age. The 8 month old, a male, is not really interested in playing with Toby, and is very concerned about the well being of the little female.
Toby is getting pretty hyper and does his play-growly-rough housing with Ivy and Oscar is now getting in there barking at him. Toby is backing off, making his way to the front door showing signs of being intimidated, his body language showing submission.
Oscar is backing off and Toby is sidling up to him, licking him at the snout, and mouth. Ivy too is in there licking Oscar's face. Both younger dogs continue on playing, but Toby is now much less overbearing.

It was like watching a conversation:
Oscar saying "Hey, dude! You are making me uncomfortable with your craziness!"
Toby saying "Ohhhh, but I am just playing! So sorry, I will behave better now"
Ivy saying "Yeah, Oscar, come on, we're just playing, it's all OK"

After that it was like Toby was trusting that he was safe, even though he had been put in his place, and Oscar trusted Toby to play nicely with his (Oscar's) little sister. Perhaps I am reading more into it than there was, but I don't think so! :ponder::thumbsup:

Your dogs Puma and Sparky seem to be on the path to build a good relationship with each other too. Trust is everything!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.