Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Dog Forum folks,

New poster here looking for some advice. I've recently found out that I can adopt a dog (previous living situation didn't allow it). My husband and I are planning on adopting an adult rescue dog.

We've actually looked at some dogs and there is one dog in particular that we are just crazy about it. She's at a no-kill shelter right now so I'm not worried about her being euthanized.

The only reason we didn't go through the actual adoption process was because we're going to be away for 2 weeks over Christmas break and we can't take her with us (international travel). She's had a rough life in and out of homes and we're concerned that adopting her now and then leaving for 2 weeks will disrupt the trust. If she's still available when we get back from vacation, we're going to pick her up immediately. I know that if she's gone by the time we get back, at least she's in a good home. Until then though, she's in a shelter and taking up space for other dogs when we really want her.

So my question to you all is whether my fears about trust issues are justified. Do you think it will be really bad for her trust of us to take her and then leave her for 2 weeks? We would put her up in a very nice pooch hotel during that time. Or would it be best to just wait? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
she's in a shelter and taking up space for other dogs
thats my thought.

If shes used to a kennel situation already I don't see much difference. I don't think it will damage your relationship at all, shes not going to associate being kenneled with you guys. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
We waited with Mikey and the shelter didn't mind as we paid extra for 'boarding' for four weeks. IF you could adopt her and HOLD her (ie no one can take her) and pay extra-that may be an option...As you and Crio have thought of-is the shelter full? If they are smaller and doing OK they may not have a prob with space (not the case always!) and then that either is or isn't a consideration.

I'd get in touch with them.

It won't be the end of the world if you have to kennel her but christmas time is a hard time to bring home a dog because things are so busy-up to you ultimately :) Welcome!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
this is a bit tuff, and i understand where you are coming from for sure...one thing you can do between now and christmas if the really nice pooch hotel is close enough, you could make some visits to it and or do some pre-boarding or doggy daycare there to get her used to it...

what kind of dog is she?

i think that it may be well worth it to get her now.

oh and i also want to say that i think it is super super awesome that you are asking questions like this before you adopt:rockon: welcome to the forum...;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I'm sure I'll be on the forum with many more questions in the future as this will be my first dog (though I've grown up with them my whole life).

And thank you for all the advice. My husband and I are currently discussing the various possibilities. Another friend mentioned the "acclimation daycare" option, too, and so I'm looking into that particularly.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I have a corgi mix!!

Yes yes does the shelter have a website where we can see her? :) We love pics!

·
Banned
557 Posts
Okay- speaking as a trainer- actually if you take her now, she will just start to gain your trust. Okay- then a good kennel- but you know what?- when you come home and take her back home she will suddenly know she is really there to stay. ie I left- and I came home- I have a real home.
Frankly I would say take her now. But as you said find a really good kennel to board her. Tell them you just acquired her, but that is about it. Take her bed, take her food etc to the kennel. And when you come to her " you are my rescuers" again-.. See?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think i'd get the dog as theres a few weeks till xmas to get her used to the odd stay at kennels/daycare before your trip and she might settle easier into them now than after a year in a home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, all,

I'm pretty happy to have found this group! So much helpful advice. It's exactly what I want to hear, but unfortunately we are in a bit of a holding pattern until Thanksgiving :mad: I will keep everyone posted on what happens though and will post pictures of the dog we end up with, whether it's this one (hopefully) or another.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts