Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i'm thinking of training my dog to pull, on command sometimes. for obvious reasons, i am not just jumping into this, because i don't want him to pull on his leash (this is not a problem right now:)) but i have been thinking it over for a bit and i think i could train him to pull a cart (he is very tolerant of his doggy back pack and he will pull you around in the water when you are swimming. or something along those lines. he already knows some directional cues "this way" "let's go" and "stop" that i use when we are riding a bike and i am starting to teach him "left" and "right" so that he knows which way we are turning and it just keeps popping up in my curious brain, "how could i train him to pull something if i wanted him to, without also training him to drag and pull people on his leash?"

i'm just sort of bashing the idea around and i am open to being told that it isn't a good one.....in fact it seems counter-intuitive to me (i've never trained a dog that it is okay to pull before) but i just keep wondering "how?" any thoughts would be appreciated

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
you can use a diff. command. My dog wont go digging stuff up or hunting for things unless i say "noel find jimmy" Or "noel find this"

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the command?

you can use a diff. command. My dog wont go digging stuff up or hunting for things unless i say "noel find jimmy" Or "noel find this"

yeah, i've been thinking about that too, maybe the trick is a command to pull and a command to not pull? or maybe he would just pull a cart if i walked him on his leash and not notice? i think it would be cool if i could ask him to pull me up hills sometimes when we are hiking together....or is that just too lazy of me?

i think it would be good exercise for him too. i mentioned it to a co-worker and she said it was cruel! i just thought, gee, what do you think a lot of dogs you see were bred to do!?! most of the time you have to train a dog not to pull, i wouldn't force him to do it if he hated it and its not like he is a chihuahua or something (that would be funny tho, a dog sled team of chihuahuas, just got a great visual) anyway, thanks for the response i'll keep mulling it over and reading stuff.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I dont think thats a bad idea my other hound has her backpack that is for water food ect. and i dont see why not to teach him to pull a little cart it gives him a job and a reason for reward.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Kiwi trained to walk at my side on leash and to pull me if I'am on rollerblades...

Wasn't hard, just use a different command. Also, I use a different harness if I want her to pull.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just clarifying...

Kiwi trained to walk at my side on leash and to pull me if I'am on rollerblades...

Wasn't hard, just use a different command. Also, I use a different harness if I want her to pull.
:ponder:what do you mean that you used a different command? i take that as i use "let's go" when walking or riding my bike with clover to mean, "move forward with me" and i should teach a different word to mean pull?

i already use a training collar when walking him, especially in situations where i may need more control (ie crowds of people etc) i don't use it as much for corrections, but more so that he cannot slip the collar. to me, it seems that he knows when the leash is on the collar that he has to pay more attention to me. i use a harness when riding the bike and when we are in more relaxed situations with less people/dogs/cars to worry about(hiking etc) but you said that you use a different harness, kiwi can tell the difference between harnesses to that degree?

i have been sort of fine tuning the leash rules with him this last week, and will continue to do so before i try to teach him to pull anything.

i guess, like i said, it is just counter-intuitive to me to teach a dog to pull in the first place, and clover is very powerful so i don't want to create a monster but i could always get a no pull harness if that happens...thanks for the input:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
:ponder:what do you mean that you used a different command? you said that you use a different harness, kiwi can tell the difference between harnesses to that degree?
I actually use "letsgoletsgoletsgo" and "pullpullpull" (to speed up even faster....its more in the tone and excitement than the actual words)

For on a walk to go from standing still to walking I use "ok" which is a release from the stand or sit.

Kiwi has two harness and her collar...

When the leash is on the collar we are training to som' degree, the walks are short and Iam going to ask her to to a variety of things for me, the goal is not the walk itself, but the walk is a by product of the training.

Her no pull harness is for walks or going out in public where I know she is going to be over threshold, (like a vet , petco or around tons of dogs)or I wont be able to actively pay attention to her, or the goal isn't to train that day and simply drain energy . Pretty much if I think shes going to pull I use it, since it prevents her from practicing what I don't want.

I use a regular harness if he are going to skate, she imediately and instictively (called oposition reflex) knows to pull when its on, so in this case I had to train her to stop and slow down on command, which wasn't very hard :)

hope that helps

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, thanks a bunch...i've been thinking of the different walking/leash equipment a lot lately,especially since i've started more specific leash training and thinking about what i want etc.
oh btw, i've noticed 2 different styles of no-pull harness. one appears to tighten under the front legs and the other looks like it has 2 leashes one that attaches in the expected place and a smaller one that attaches in the front, but since i've not used one, do you have a recommendation?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
This the one I use...

Its called the "easy walk" I picked this one because the other type seemed a bit compllicated to put on (this one goes over the head and one snap under the belly...easy easy) also it works on the premise of if the dog pulls it tightens AND goes off balance... with the other types the harness just gets tight, and a dog can learn to pull through the discomfort anyway.

The only down side is that if you dog absolutely freaks and its on really loose, they might excape from it, I've had no issues as my dogs don't freak out. ;)

Its kinda pricey $30 plus tax and up BUT I bought both of mine on Amazon.com in the $20 range no tax...so even after shipping, it was cheaper. :) Its a lifesaver, I really am happy with it.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
13 Posts
I simply teach my SAR dogs that when the harness is put on they pull, when a collar is on they never pull. The harness is the cue to pull the collar is the cue not to.

;')

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well i would first off suggest getting an X back sledding harness if you don't have one already.
You can't use a general purpose walking harness for pulling. Start by attaching a large block of wood to the end of your dogs leash and letting him pull it around so he can get the idea of pulling something. Then once your dog seems to be pulling that easily switch to something bigger. Slowly increase the weight that your dog is pulling and eventually he will be able to pull a cart or nike with you on it. Definitely take things slow though so you don't strain any of his muscles.
We mushers use the command Hike! to tell our dogs to get moving. Some people say Lets go, Alright, it really depends on the person and their preference.
I would like to suggest this website for you to look at. Black Ice
Here you will find the x back sledding harness i was talking about. Also the proper lines to attach to a cart for pulling.
Did you actually get into it? How are things going?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, lol this thread is pretty old, i haven't thought about this in a long time... like many things it is on a back-burner, tho i'm still interested in training clover this, i think it would be a great activity for him :) i will definitely check out the site you posted. if you have any other advice on this, i would love to read it, you can post here, or if you like, you could start your own thread on training a dog to pull/mush (not sure what to call it :)) i'm not sure if i'm ready to train this, but i know i would love to learn it for future use :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
wow, lol this thread is pretty old, i haven't thought about this in a long time... like many things it is on a back-burner, tho i'm still interested in training clover this, i think it would be a great activity for him :) i will definitely check out the site you posted. if you have any other advice on this, i would love to read it, you can post here, or if you like, you could start your own thread on training a dog to pull/mush (not sure what to call it :)) i'm not sure if i'm ready to train this, but i know i would love to learn it for future use :)
Oh ok! Well I'm sure you and your dog would have fun! Its a great sport even if you just d it for fun.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Heres another site with everything you would want to know about sled dogs. Sled Dog Central  - Your No. 1 sled dog advertising & information source since 1997!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts