Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!!

My 4.5 month old Standard Schnauzer is coming up to an age when it’s time to make a decision if we should neuter him.

We are very 50-50 about it . :ponder:

There is so much controversy surrounding this matter so I thought I’ll throw this out to the dog lovers of this forum.

Has it changed your dog?

Do you wish you didn’t do it ?

Is it cruel ?

What is your opinion?

Thanx guys

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you plan to breed him, then don't neuter him, otherwise do it. And no, it's not cruel, if anything, it's a good thing, there's way too much dogs in shelters that need home, no need to add more to those.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Male dogs rarely are neutered here. Most of the people only do it if it is necessary because of behavioral issues.

I do not think that it is cruel to neuter the dog and I honestly do not know what speaks against it.

I am not being of any help. Sorry:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Neuter - no question. There are hundreds of good reasons to do it, but the most important reason is very simple:

Innocent puppies are destroyed every day because the pet population is out of control. Do you really want your dog contributing to the problem? Remember, a female dog can only get pregnant twice a year or so. A male dog can impregnate a different female every day.

Also:

Male dogs who are neutered are clinically less likely to develop cancer. They are less likely to run away or try to escape their yards. The chances of them acting in an aggressive or tempermental manner decreases.

As to the question - is it cruel? Really, if you don't intend for your dog to use it, why force him to continue just having to deal with the desire to mate? That sort of frustration transends species boundaries. He won't miss the 'equipment' and will be able to better enjoy your love without all the temptations.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Neuter - no question. There are hundreds of good reasons to do it, but the most important reason is very simple:

Innocent puppies are destroyed every day because the pet population is out of control. Do you really want your dog contributing to the problem? Remember, a female dog can only get pregnant twice a year or so. A male dog can impregnate a different female every day.

Also:

Male dogs who are neutered are clinically less likely to develop cancer. They are less likely to run away or try to escape their yards. The chances of them acting in an aggressive or tempermental manner decreases.

As to the question - is it cruel? Really, if you don't intend for your dog to use it, why force him to continue just having to deal with the desire to mate? That sort of frustration transends species boundaries. He won't miss the 'equipment' and will be able to better enjoy your love without all the temptations.
^^this 100%

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
neuter for sure. its not cruel by any means, you will get some good pain pills for him. talk to your vet about any concerns before hand to make sure you get all the details you want :) p.s. I LOVE standard schnauzers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Neuter him it is a simple procedure and the benefits outweigh the cons. After a day he will be acting perfectly fine as if nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all for advice.
I guess I just worried about his hormonal changes.
I understand that neutering removes the source of testosterone, it will stop or reduce sexually motivated behaviour.
But is it the right thing to do or is an easy way out and more of a convenience for the owners?
Testosterone what makes a male dog – take it away and it’s just ball for me to play with. Shouldn’t it be my responsibility to make sure he doesn’t get out or wonder off?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you all for advice.
I guess I just worried about his hormonal changes.
I understand that neutering removes the source of testosterone, it will stop or reduce sexually motivated behaviour.
But is it the right thing to do or is an easy way out and more of a convenience for the owners?
Testosterone what makes a male dog – take it away and it’s just ball for me to play with. Shouldn’t it be my responsibility to make sure he doesn’t get out or wonder off?

It’s never too late to neuter your dog. In fact, it’s the single most important decision you should make for your pet.

Contrary to certain beliefs, neutering does not alter basic temperament, personality, or intelligence. In fact, many undesirable qualities under hormonal influence actually resolve themselves following surgery. Some owners also fear that a male dog will be “less of a male,” act more like a female, or not be as tough or intelligent if neutered. Thankfully for male dogs, cats, and humans, the reproductive organs do not control intelligence level or toughness, loyalty, or character. Activity level, appetite, playfulness, and socialization with humans are not changed. The behaviors that do change are unwanted and destructive ones that are influenced by male hormones, such as obsession with the great escape, battling over turf, urine marking inside and outside the house, inappropriate mounting, and digging. Dogs that resist training also benefit from neutering because they are more likely to accept the owner’s leadership.

Also, neutering a male dog or cat is the number one thing you can do to increase his longevity. Dogs and cats that are neutered live an average of 40 percent longer than dogs and cats that aren’t neutered because neutering greatly decreases or completely eliminates certain health problems. Problems can include testicular cancer, testicular torsion, rectal cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostatic abscess, prostatic cancer, epididymitis (infection of the epididymis), perineal hernia (abdominal organs bulging out of rectum), inguinal hernia with potential organ strangulation, and perianal gland adenoma.

Therefore, I strongly recommend neutering your pet because of the overwhelming benefits both behaviorally and medically.”

I found that quote on a pet-chat website where someone had asked if it was too late to neuter their 3 year old yorkie.

As a side note, my min-pin was spayed about two years ago. I would never in a million years call her, “just a ball for me to play with.” She’s my pet, my friend, my companion, a good listener, and in her precious little mind, my fierce protector. Her personality has really not changed at all. She’s happy, healthy, and very very hyper. The only thing that spaying changed in her was the fact that it stopped her from digging tunnels to escape or chewing holes through the fence. And this is very serious because one time, before she was spayed, she dug a hole under the fence, escaped, and was promptly hit by an SUV. It’s a miracle she survived. I almost killed my dog by not having her spayed. What kind of educated, responsible pet owner is willing to risk their dog’s life just to keep them hormonally driven?

Exactly what good does having the constant urge to procreate do for a dog? How can anyone, dog or human, be happy with that sort of frustration and desire looming hopelessly over their heads 24-7?

Do the right thing, for your dog and for the entire over-populated species, neuter him.

·
Registered
321 Posts
neuter for sure. its not cruel by any means, you will get some good pain pills for him. talk to your vet about any concerns before hand to make sure you get all the details you want :) p.s. I LOVE standard schnauzers!
I agree 100% with neutering, but my rottie never got pain pills. :confused:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just picked up my foster last night from the vets. He was neutered. He's doing fine. I got no pain pills but was advised that he can have a baby aspirin which I gave him this morning. He's sleeping contentedly now.

I definitely vote to neuter for all the reasons above!

·
Banned
32 Posts
I dont agree with neutering. Heres my experience with my Giant Shnauzer I had once. I neutered him at 7 months old. He was perfectly fine until I neutered him. He was friendly, no health concerns. Now... well hers a list
- He is very nervous of people
- constantly humps (male, female fixed or not) even humans
- skin allergies
- ear issues
- anal glands problems
- and worse of is he is sooo hyper. I had him at so many trainers

He got so bad he bit my neighbour was never aggressive before. I put him to sleep. All his issues happend AFTER this neuter. It really screw up their system. Just like a male or female human. Need to go on hormonal replacement pills.

Not coincidental cause it happened to my friends dog, my cousins dogs etc. All were so bad they were either giving up or PTS.

After all this I still didnt learn and I neutered the dog I have now..... Even females. Please dont neuter your dog...how would you like to have your testicles ripped off? Dogs are not stupid they know whats happened to them

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I dont agree with neutering. Heres my experience with my Giant Shnauzer I had once. I neutered him at 7 months old. He was perfectly fine until I neutered him. He was friendly, no health concerns. Now... well hers a list
- skin allergies
- ear issues
- anal glands problems

He got so bad he bit my neighbour was never aggressive before. I put him to sleep. All his issues happend AFTER this neuter. It really screw up their system. Just like a male or female human. Need to go on hormonal replacement pills.

Not coincidental cause it happened to my friends dog, my cousins dogs etc. All were so bad they were either giving up or PTS.

After all this I still didnt learn and I neutered the dog I have now..... Even females. Please dont neuter your dog...how would you like to have your testicles ripped off? Dogs are not stupid they know whats happened to them
Sounds like lack of responsibility and training. I am sorry but you are so wrong, dogs DO NOT do all of this stuff BECAUSE of neutering..they do it because of lack of training and lack of responsible ownership. I have worked for many vets and other animal services and have NEVER heard of neutering causing problems....

As for the "coincidental" part...people surround themselves in similar company.

Neutering is the best thing to do for males to PREVENT cancer, sometimes it also helps with dominance issues in some dogs. Everything else is UP TO THE OWNER TO CONTROL. If your dog bites someone PLEASE DO NOT euthanize it...there are dogs who are not people friendly who live perfectly wonderful lives.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
- skin allergies
- ear issues
- anal glands problems

you just listed food allergy issues, possible temprament issues(from poor breeding) and training issues and blamed it on the neuter. Nothing you listed had anything to do with the neuter.

Just FYI it takes three months for the hormones to leave the system, so if you saw any of those issues within three months of the neuter they definelty (as if there was a question) had nothing to do with it.

The rest of that post is just silly... the dog has no idea they are gone, and doesn't care that they are gone.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
32 Posts
Everyone says dogs are smart. They can find hidden objects, count, retrieve, detect an on coming seizure, know when they are gunna be fed, walked..etc. But they arent smart enough to know they are missing testicles???????

Ill let mine know that. I noticed all these issues within 6 months after the neutering. He NEVER had these issues before I neutered him. A dog doesnt develop an allergy after he was neutered. It was because of the neutering which screwed up his system. I understand that yes they can develop allergies, but ALL these issues started AFTER his neuter. He was a friendly sucky dog before, had no skin issues, ear issues or anal gland issues. So all of these issues just randomly popped up? I dont think so. Listen everyone had their views on neutering, I dont like it for the simple reason dogs cant control their sex drive, its nature to them. We humans can but we choose not to use protection. Yet we have thousands of unwanted children running through the foster program.

Dogs were on this earth LONG before humans. Our civilization disrupted them. Like people complained that sharks are attacking humans more, they kill the shark that attacked a human if they find it...sound fair. Sharks were here LONG before us. So why should these poor animals suffer because us humans are stupid and blantent on not watching our dogs????? So they should suffer even though they were here first? Look at wolvesm non of them are neutered and theres a wack of them yet we arent out there catching and neutering. Animals were here first and WE should learn how to live with THEM...not the other way around.

So now it is evolved around the fact that I am irresponsable. Lack of responsibility and training???EXCUSE ME? I love my dogs and for that dog I tried really hard. Wanna know how many trainer I consulted? SEVEN damn trainers in my area all came out and worked with him. Each trainer charging me $300 for 6 weeks. Wanna know how many vets I took him too? EVERY vet in my city plus the surrounding cities. Want to know how many meds I tried on him???? LOTS. Yet everybody still falls under the warps of medical care for dogs that until the 60's NEVER existed. Please. I put in over $10,000 into that dog to figure out the problem. Then i decided to put him down. That dog came from a very reputable breeder, from champion show lines. Yet I am irresponsible. Want to know the food he was on after I tried almost everything else? RAW..the best damn food recommended by dog people out there.

So please everything I listed had to do with his neuter. Taking a dogs hormones away screws everything up in their system. Jeez

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
So now you are saying that your dog was aggressive and mad because you snipped him? LOL

I am sorry but the article says NOTHING about your dogs issues and that it was due to neutering, it does state that certain breeds are better fixed at an older age (typically 2 yrs of age for the particular breeds) so their body has time to grow and develop as it should. It also says that dogs develop certain things after altering but all of these things can be determined by YOU THE OWNER such as obesity, if your dog is overweight its because of you, not neutering, you MUST be responsible and know when your dog should have its habits changed.

Yes there can be adverse reactions from fixing your pet, just as there can be reactions from vaccinating and not vaccinating. The biggest PLUS TO NEUTERING IS CONTROLLING THE POPULATION!!!!

Here is a more informed article...this one tells you what exactly a spay removes, the one you posted states removal of the uterus and ovaries DOES NOT prevent ovarian and uterine cancer....:ponder:

Anywho, here everybody, spaying and neutering has benefits for you, your dog, as well as this world especially in hard economic times
At what age can you neuter or spay a dog

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Oh boy, need the quotes for this one ;)

Everyone says dogs are smart. They can find hidden objects, count, retrieve, detect an on coming seizure, know when they are gunna be fed, walked..etc. But they arent smart enough to know they are missing testicles???????
this shows that you need to learn about how dogs learn. They are not dumb humans. Their brains understand som' things different than ours. All the behaviors you are talking about are just that. Behaviors. Learned ones at that. Knowing your testicles are missing would involve critical thinking, which has been scientifically proven to not exist in dogs.

Ever see a dog with three legs? You think that dog is walking around hoping and wishing it had its leg back?Or dogs that have cropped ears and tails? You think they feel broken or disabled? Nope, it adapts and moves on, it doesn't care, one can argue that the dog doesn't even notice.

Ill let mine know that. I noticed all these issues within 6 months after the neutering. He NEVER had these issues before I neutered him.
First of all. Your dog hit maturity. Things change behavior wise at maturity. Also if it was neuter related why was it 6 months later? Long after the surgery and the hormones were absent?

A dog doesnt develop an allergy after he was neutered. It was because of the neutering which screwed up his system.
Dogs develope alergies all the time, altered or not.

I understand that yes they can develop allergies, but ALL these issues started AFTER his neuter. He was a friendly sucky dog before, had no skin issues, ear issues or anal gland issues. So all of these issues just randomly popped up? I dont think so
I don't think so either, what food were you using? You said raw, but what was the bulk meat? Polutry? Beef? Dogs can still develop alergies on raw

Listen everyone had their views on neutering, I dont like it for the simple reason dogs cant control their sex drive, its nature to them.
What sex drive? You remove the hormones you remove the drive. If you want all natural your hardly in a position to talk. Pure bred dogs are as far from all natural as you can get.

We humans can but we choose not to use protection. Yet we have thousands of unwanted children running through the foster program. ]
I agree, don't see how this is relavent as humans are not altered so there is no comparison.

Dogs were on this earth LONG before humans. Our civilization disrupted them. Like people complained that sharks are attacking humans more, they kill the shark that attacked a human if they find it...sound fair. Sharks were here LONG before us. So why should these poor animals suffer because us humans are stupid and blantent on not watching our dogs????? ]
You need to reeeally think about what your saying. You sound like a card carrying member of PETA with that statement. Many dogs suffer because we choose to keep them, I hardly equate neutering with suffering. If you really feel that they were here before us and they should be all natural prehaps you really don't want to own a dog?

So they should suffer even though they were here first? Look at wolvesm non of them are neutered and theres a wack of them yet we arent out there catching and neutering.
Newsflash. Wild animal overpopulation is controlled by hunting quotas.

Animals were here first and WE should learn how to live with THEM...not the other way around.
once again, sounds like PETA. No more pets, no more selective breeding, no more , no more, you name it. If we should learn how to live with them then perhaps you should have learned to "live with" your dog, and he should have been contained and managed not euthanized. You dog bites in situation A.....simply don't put the dog in situation A anymore. Problem solved.

So now it is evolved around the fact that I am irresponsable. Lack of responsibility and training???EXCUSE ME? I love my dogs and for that dog I tried really hard. Wanna know how many trainer I consulted? SEVEN damn trainers in my area all came out and worked with him. Each trainer charging me $300 for 6 weeks.
what type of training? This is key. I'm sure you met alot of trainers who saw you and your money coming. I can walk you through any behavior problem you want. For free.

Also every trainer complains about one problem "cliet compliance" this means that the owner either doesn't do the work, or does the work wrong when the trainer isn't there. Im not trying to critize you, but training is not a natural thing. It has to be learned and its hard for a trainer to teach you to train an aggressive dog in an hour a day once a week.

Wanna know how many vets I took him too? EVERY vet in my city plus the surrounding cities. Want to know how many meds I tried on him???? LOTS.
what on earth were the meds??? What test were run on him? Was his thyroid checked? Wrong meds or bad dosages can make the problems worse!

Yet everybody still falls under the warps of medical care for dogs that until the 60's NEVER existed. Please. I put in over $10,000 into that dog to figure out the problem. Then i decided to put him down. That dog came from a very reputable breeder, from champion show lines.

Ten Gs? What on earth did you have done in six months that would rack up a bill like that?

what did you breeder have to say about this? Why did you not return the dog to the "responsible" breeder? One of the hallmarks of a responsible breeder is lifetime advice and help, also taking back any dog for any reason at any time.

Yet I am irresponsible. Want to know the food he was on after I tried almost everything else? RAW..the best damn food recommended by dog people out there.

So please everything I listed had to do with his neuter. Taking a dogs hormones away screws everything up in their system. Jeez
You need at least three months on a food to start to see results. If you were "trying everything else" and were switching him constantly you would not see results, plus you would probably stress him out...alot.

You really need to take a step back, and read our posts without a tone. Your entire post was hostile as all get out. Take a breath, we are all here because we love dogs. No one was attacking you. But there was very little fact in your opinions.

ETA: also, it may not have occured to your dog trainers that your dog may have been fear aggressive or reactive. If he was trained with corrections and he was fearful/reactive at all, it would make him worse. ;)

what breed was this dog?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
He said it was a Giant Schnauzer which I have seen these dogs, both male and female, both altered and unaltered, need very strict training, much like other breeds. TY Crio btw, I was on benedryl (allergies UGH) and guess I missed A LOT of his post last night.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
He said it was a Giant Schnauzer which I have seen these dogs, both male and female, both altered and unaltered, need very strict training, much like other breeds. TY Crio btw, I was on benedryl (allergies UGH) and guess I missed A LOT of his post last night.

I wish I had noticed that!

I completely agree, not an easy breed..at all.

I think more and more people purchase these harder breeds and expect to get golden retrievers.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts