Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
@crock said the main thing that came to mind for me - Children should be taught to not hug dogs. Encouraging a kid to get down and stick their face right up in a dogs' face and grab hold of them is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

I hug my little man, but we have a specific way that we set it up. I sit up on the couch, or cross legged on the floor and if he's feeling cuddly, he'll come and dump himself in my lap. I cuddle, give him a scratch, and drape my arms on him if we're just watching TV. As for full on hugs, he will lean into me and do things like rest his chin on my shoulder. I take that as permission for a squeezy hug.
That being said, I don't really encourage anyone else to get too in his face if he's not used to them. Just the two of us spend a lot of time cuddling, but he's more hyper with new people, so he'd probably end up headbutting someone in his excited jumping. He absolutely loves a chest scratch, so that usually suffices if someone wants to give him a pat that he really enjoys.

I try to stick to fairly neutral patting with other dogs. Chest/back/bum that kind of thing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree, never a dog is not mine. And I don't let people (children included) hug Raider.

I'll have to pay more attention to Raider's body language next time I go to give him one. I always assumed because he didn't pull away, he was cool. But after watching Eileen's video posted by crock, I'm not too sure. I do know most times a Raider tells me to not pet his head, so I go for his shoulder. But from now on, when he ducks away, I'll make an effort to keep my paws off and let him come to me. Now on his terms, raider is all about the hugs. I think... (Really guessing myself now LOL).My most favourite thing he does in the morning, most mornings, is lay next to me in bed and lay his head on my throat and snugs right in.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.