Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating getting a rescure dog/puppy. I'm 40, grew up around dogs, haven't yet had one of my own. I'm still worried that I like the idea of a dog more than I'm going to like having a dog?

Love dogs but to be honest I'm nervous about the mess/gross factor of having a dog. I just don't know. Would love a buddy but don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for your constructive comments. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Borrow a dog. Seriously, one of your friends must have dogs, tell them you are thinking about getting one and ask to borrow one for the weekend. You could also volunteer at a shelter, and after all that, foster a dog. All of those should give you some experience on which to base your decision. Good for you, for not just getting one one impulse, if you're not sure you are in it for the long haul.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Borrow a dog. Seriously, one of your friends must have dogs, tell them you are thinking about getting one and ask to borrow one for the weekend. You could also volunteer at a shelter, and after all that, foster a dog. All of those should give you some experience on which to base your decision. Good for you, for not just getting one one impulse, if you're not sure you are in it for the long haul.
I agree. Especially with the fostering suggestion.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I'm debating getting a rescure dog/puppy. I'm 40, grew up around dogs, haven't yet had one of my own. I'm still worried that I like the idea of a dog more than I'm going to like having a dog?

Love dogs but to be honest I'm nervous about the mess/gross factor of having a dog. I just don't know. Would love a buddy but don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for your constructive comments. Appreciate it.
FWIW
Your circumstances may have a bearing on what you do about having a dog/no dog.

Flat/apartment or a house with a decent sized garden?
Do you have places to walk the dog?
Do you have time available to give the dog sufficient exercise?
It's a responsibility/committment you have to be prepared to make.

A little tale about how we got ours.
It was from a rescue centre. They were very good about vetting us to ensure that committment was there.

I'm not trying to put you off having a dog. All the better that you take on a rescue and give it a forever home. Just know that entails responsibilities.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I commend you for being so honest with yourself and asking yourself these questions before you get a dog. That is seriously awesome of you and shows that you are very responsible and caring.

I agree with the previous comments about "borrowing" or fostering a dog first, what a great idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.