Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my husband and I constantly debate whether or not we should adopt another dog. I realize this is a very complicated question, but I worry our current dog (Theodore Rex) is lonely. He doesn't act up much (although every once and awhile he has bouts of excessive barking which I just posted about) and we take him to doggy daycare twice a week so he is well socialized. My husband never had dogs growing up and he loves my puppy but I think he is nervous about the idea of introducing another pup. Any tips on the pros and cons of adopting another pooch? Or really.. tips on how I can convince my husband? :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think there are lots of pros:
-If you work 8 hrs a day or go on a day trip, etc. the dogs will have each other to keep themselves company.
-They practically exercise themselves! Throw 'em out the backdoor with a tug-a-war toy and you're good to go.
-Training a second dog is always easier. You've a)done some trial and error with the first one and b) the first dog will help keep the new pup in line and teach him the rules of the house.
-If you get a younger pup or dog, as sad as this is to think about, when your first one passes away you will have your other dog to help you through it.
-Dogs are great. As long as you can handle the financial commitment, all the more the merrier!

However there are certainly some cons as well:
-Another mouth to feed, another set of shots and vet visits, $$$
-Two dogs, especially if one isn't trained, can be a lot to handle. You have to be ready for some craziness at first until everyone settles in. And if you don't introduce them properly and adopt a dog that your first dog likes, it could become an issue.
-Sometimes they can teach each other bad habits or get into mischief.
-If you don't own your own home, what is the landlord's pet policy? Can you have more than one dog? What if you had to move, would you be able to take both?

I'm sure there are many more in both columns, but I don't really know your exact situation. You just have to weigh both sides and see if your desires are financially feasible or practical.

It IS another life you signing up to care for forever, and both of you have to be on board. Maybe try fostering another dog for a local rescue or shelter and see if your other dog enjoys the company or wants to be any only child so to speak, and if that's something you two can handle. Or dog sit someone's pup for a week or two, etc.

·
Registered
573 Posts
We're at the same point, I'm the dog person, bf not so much. He leaves me free reign with the dogs though and says he's ok with a second one as long as I care for him/her (I brought the first one into the relationship and care for him 100%, bf plays with him, pets him and feeds him occasionally). I think as long as the roles are clear it will work.

However, believe it or not, we are having a hard time finding a good match... with Max, I walked into the door of his foster home and knew it would have to be "this one". On our search now we have the extra consideration whether the dogs are going to get along and whether he/she will get along with the horse, too. We had a female for a trial weekend that was described by the rescue as being good with everyone except other dominant females, and within the first two days we had her she nailed and punctured Max a few times. It's heartbreaking to return a dog, even if it was just a trial, and even if I realize that we absolutely don't want 10 years of war zone in our house.
So now we are taking our time to meet dogs, looking at "foster to adopt" situations, and generally just making sure the dog's a good match. It's hard, the hardest part is to realize that a dog just doesn't fit despite being nice. But we will find the perfect match at some point :).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
67 Posts
My husband and I are having the very same debate. We have always had two dogs, this is the first time we have had one.
One of our main cons was that Jed isn't desexed but that is going to change in a few days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! We are currently having a trial with a new pooch, she is SOO sweet. She is a rescue (from a bad situation) but incredibly loving. Our current dog Theo is pretty hyper so she is still adjusting to him. They have had a few vocal squabbles and one spat of rougher play, but they are doing well. I hope it works out, as I am already falling for her! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hope it goes well with the doggy trial.
Be sure to let's us know how it goes :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts