Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a small poodle that has some cronic anal gland issues.

He consistently licks his rear to a point where it is swollen and bloody. We've had him to the vet several times now for this problem and he has gotten a multitude of steroid shots and his anal glands expressed.

He's been tested for parasites and all tests came back negative.
So, I'm now faced with the option to remove his anal glands surgically.
I would love any and all advice regarding the procedure... is this something that should be done or should I try to find another solution?

I've read that dogs can become incontinent from this procedure? Has anyone ever had their dog's anal glands removed? Was there any complications afterwards?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi Everyone,

He's been tested for parasites and all tests came back negative.
So, I'm now faced with the option to remove his anal glands surgically.
I would love any and all advice regarding the procedure... is this something that should be done or should I try to find another solution?

Before surgery I would try un-sulfured prunes. My hound had smelly butt all the time until I included prunes in his diet 3 times a week. Small dog chop up 1 prune and add to food 3 times a week. I dont know why this works but it did for my hound. The info came from a breeder in the whole dog journal and since I like natural cures I tried it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before surgery I would try un-sulfured prunes. My hound had smelly butt all the time until I included prunes in his diet 3 times a week. Small dog chop up 1 prune and add to food 3 times a week. I dont know why this works but it did for my hound. The info came from a breeder in the whole dog journal and since I like natural cures I tried it
Thanks, I generally prefer natural cures too. I'll give it a try, I've never heard of adding prunes to food before. Do I need to use fresh prunes or can I use dried?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yes, I'd try some dietary remedies first. Many people swear by the prunes thing. Also, rich foods tend to cause loose stools, which don't express anal glands. Anything you can do to firm up the poo may help. Fiber is good, thus the prunes, or some folks also use unflavored canned pumpkin. Also you can try a less rich food (lower in fat/protein).

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Thanks, I generally prefer natural cures too. I'll give it a try, I've never heard of adding prunes to food before. Do I need to use fresh prunes or can I use dried?
I use the organic fresh ones that I get in bulk at the supermarket or you can get them in a package at places like trader joes. Just make sure they are un -sulfured. Works like a charm. A grain free diet also works best with my dogs. You would think that having the grains would make it easier to go but this does not seem to be the case with my two. I put the prunes or you can also use dates in their cookies and give them daily. This is the recipe if you are interested they are grain free.
FLOUR LESS PEANUT BUTTER APPLESAUCE COOKIES

DRY INGREDIENTS
4 CUPS BOB’S RED MILL STONE GROUND GARBANZO BEAN FLOUR
YOU CAN ALSO GET GARBANZO FLOUR IN BULK AT SOME STORES
1/ 2 CUP GROUND FLAX SEED

WET INGREDIENTS
1 CUP UNSALTED PEANUT BUTTER
1 CUP UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
1 / 4 CUP OLIVE OIL OR VEGETABLE OIL
1 CUP WATER

PUT DRY INGREDIENTS IN LARGE BOWL

PUT ALL WET INGREDIENTS IN BLENDER AND MIX WELL

POUR OVER FLOUR AND MIX UNTIL SMOOTH

GREASE 9X13 COOKIE SHEET PUT THE COOKIE DOUGH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COOKIE SHEET GREASE HAND AND SMOOTH DOUGH OVER THE COOKIE SHEET CUT INTO DESIRED SIZE BAKE AT 350 FOR 30 MINUTES

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ADD PRUNES OR DATES TO YOUR DOGS DIETS TO ADD FIBER YOU CAN ADD 1 CUP CHOPPED TO THE COOKIES SO YOU DONT HAVE TO ADD THEM SEPARATELY

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Ditto trying the prunes and/or the increased fiber food first.

The surgery should not be taken lightly, as you are not, because you're right that it can cause incontinence. IF you proceed with surgery, have it done by a board certified surgeon. It'll cost more, but the more experience would be better IMO.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
The prunes are worth it trust me. I actually came to Dawnben with my dogs issue of constantly releasing his anal glands when spooked and the prunes literally ended that problem. :) Our vet was thrilled with the success and has since recommended it to his clients with similar issues.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Niko gets 2 prunes a week and now rarely will lick his booty and put off that horrible rotten fish smell. I love prunes and now Niko does too!

I was thinking about the surgery too since Niko was licking and putting off the horrible smell probably 3-5 times a week but prunes saved the day!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to try the prunes this week and will keep you updated if it works or not.

He doesn't really have a problem with loose stools, most of his stools are pretty firm, but it doesn't seem to help with his anal glands.

Keep your fingers crossed!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Is he getting abscesses in his glands? I assume that's what you're referring to. How often are you bringing him in to the vet to have them expressed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet told me that it wasn't abcessed just really swollen because of his consistent licking. (more of an irritation I assume)
Over the last month I've had to take him on a weekly basis :(

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
And the vet fully empties them every time? Are they infected? Has he been tried on antibiotics for them? (They don't need to have abscessed to be infected). Is the discharge too thick?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And the vet fully empties them every time? Are they infected? Has he been tried on antibiotics for them? (They don't need to have abscessed to be infected). Is the discharge too thick?
As far as I know the vet empties them fully. (but then again that could be questionable)
He has never put him on antibiotics.
I've seen the discharge that comes out and it isn't very thick... a light brownish color and somewhat pasty. Is this a good or bad sign?

I'm wondering if I should go and get a second opinion at another vet?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
If the discharge isn't thick then I'm not sure why the surgery is being recommended or why your dog is having issues. Sometimes if the discharge is thick then it's difficult to express no matter what you do. If the discharge isn't so thick, then it should be easily expressed. Absolutely try the prunes. If they don't seem to work, please do get a second opinion from another vet before considering that surgery.

I guess based on that I'm kind of confused as to what is wrong... sorry. Why/when does it get bloody? Just from licking?

IF so, hopefully the prunes will keep them emptying and stop that. Or a higher fiber food. Or you could learn how to empty them...

Is the vet sure the anal glands are the issue? Could your dog possibly have a food allergy and that's why he's licking his butt excessively?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts