Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I fell for a cat and I have been thinking about it... Yes a cat... The most out going little blue eyed bugger I have ever met.

In talking with the rescue lady she said that he would most likely do very well with a dog.

Now the question is... To cat or not to cat?

I have done my research... And I keep looking around going... That cow.d be the litter box area... And this room could be the dog free zone... And we could put a cat tree there...

Sigh... I guess my mind is made up...

Thoughts?

Words of encouragement... Discoragement?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Haha it does sound like your mind is made up.
Can't wait to see pics :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Ditto Cali! :)

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Oh one thing I would ad is that if you are allergic to cats normally I would wait another day to make sure your allergies don't act up. My daughter is very allergic to cats but she doesn't start having a reaction till about 8 to 12 hrs after she has interacted with them, but then again maybe that's not the norm. :ponder:

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
How do your dogs do with cats? Are they totally fine? I don't know if you have other cats, but if your dogs have a high prey drive, it can be A LOT of work to get an adult dog to get along with a cat (I've tried and failed). If you're up for it, though, or if your dogs are already good with cats, I'd say go for it. I love cats.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no photos sorry... I was afraid if I took photos that was it...

See brown I only have Zoey who is 6 mo cattle dog... Who hase never been arou d cats... My plan was a slow... Like snail slow introduction. With lots of dog free spaces, and a cat tree high enough Zoey can't jump it

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not really a shelter. It's all foster based... She did look at the cat through the window... It was ok... Super curious but she looked away... So I guess thats good...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I'd try a test through bars vs. window. Coconut for some reason doesn't see cats through windows (she had no reaction at the pound to cats through the windows, or to our cat through the sliding glass door before they got along). Also if you get a cat that will not stop running and a dog that will not stop chasing (the situation I failed with), it makes it so much more difficult. I think both animals' personalities matter. Though at 6 mo. old it'll prob. be easier to train, but I'm paranoid. :)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Is the cat all white with blue eyes?

Check/ask to see if the cat is deaf. Not sure if it's an old tale or not, but it is said that pure white cats with blue eyes are deaf. I don't know why... but if it is deaf, this may make it harder since the cat won't be able to hear the dog coming... not impossible though!

I'm totally pro cat. I say go for it (sounds like you will!)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See I was wondering... Cause I made kiss sounds with no response. Hummm good question...

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I had heard specifically the white with blue eyes thing in cats... though you're right, I do know white Pitties that are deaf as well...

I wouldn't let that deter you, Abluedog, but I think it's important to know for introduction purposes...

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
We had a kitten that was part white with 1 blue & 1 green eye. He was slightly deaf - but he survived anyway (stray/farm cat).

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't really care if he is... It will just make the whole shake the treat can have cat come running thing a bit more difficult. It could even be better cause zoey is barky somedays. It wouldnt startle him ya know? She just likes to talk bac

·
Registered
862 Posts
Im pro cat here. I have a little female cat, about 8lbs and she is boss around here. lol Marley, or mar mar cat as I call her lol

The dogs have learned to leave her be the hard way. her nice little fist of claws. Solo is scared of her, she actually made him so scared one day he peed lol.

So as long as the cat has places to hide, free from the dog. Im sure you can make it work. it may take alot of time. Ask if the cat has been around dogs. I have a herder and a hound with my cat. they all get along fine, as long as her majesty is happy lol

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I'd also like to report that after a month of training, our cat is now in charge of our puppy (no more chasing, she leaves her alone with a few warning swipes). :) So I think you can work through any chasing issues. ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts