Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! Im not exactly new to this forum but I did just make an account, im more active on the GSD one, but decided to come here for some of my current questions.

So I am planning to get another puppy in the future, pretty far into the future, 3-4 years, maybe a bit earlier, depends how things turn out.

My main breeds I am considering for this are either a field bred Labrador, or leaning towards something more uncommon, like a Borzoi. Ive always been interested in the breed, and in sight hounds in general and have considered getting one in the future. I am very interested in joining some sort of lure coursing and from the research I've done, if I do happen to get a sight hound, id want it to be a Borzoi.

That being said, this post was to ask for helpful info for a first time Borzoi owner and if they would be a good fit for me, or any helpful info about what theyre like and some of the ups and downs of the breed.

As for me, im pretty active, and will be even more so a few years into the future after college. I live on 8 acres of forested land and have many lakes and hiking trails near me that I enjoy traveling to with my GSD Charlie. I have a pretty good understanding of dog obedience and can teach it fairly well, but I also understand a Borzois will probably need to be on leash or in a fenced in area when out and about because of their hunting instincts, which im fine with.

some overall questions are just how they do with obedience/training, how good of a family/people dog they are, and how they tend to be around other dogs, and what are some important things to know about them?

of course I do my own research, but I also like to hear about the experience firsthand, this is quite the decision for me and I wanna have plenty of time to plan and research, any input about the breed or your experience with them is welxome!

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
I don’t know much about them, I know of two people who have, or have had them. Majestic looking dogs but I don’t think they are easy dogs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don’t know much about them, I know of two people who have, or have had them. Majestic looking dogs but I don’t think they are easy dogs.
Ah, thats the reason I wanted to plan a few years in advance, to get some experience and research under my belt to be able to handle it if I do happen to get one. They seem like such wonderful dogs, not to mention the best bet if I wanna try lure coursing. Sadly there's not many clubs or anything dog related near me so its hard to get the on hands experience, so the internet has been a pretty helpful tool.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They have fairly short lifespans; many don't make it to ten years. A friend's family had one that died at seven.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have a friend who raises Borzois and used to import them from Russia. She said that they are extremely difficult to handle and train, and experience is needed.
She currently owns 11 Borzois! :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Many things about Basenjis appeal to me, and in my research for a smaller, "old lady's dog," I really looked into them. In the end I gave up on the idea because I realized they are too difficult to train for me. I think that's true of all the sight hound breeds.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Many things about Basenjis appeal to me, and in my research for a smaller, "old lady's dog," I really looked into them. In the end I gave up on the idea because I realized they are too difficult to train for me. I think that's true of all the sight hound breeds.
You made the right call, there.
I have experience with basenjis (not having owned them but being around them a fair bit ), and do not recommend them to anyone who is not pretty fully experienced with dogs and dog training and who is willing to work with a high drive, high prey drive, difficult to train dog. They are beautiful and I have liked several of them, but all the basenjis I have known have tended to be extremely destructive of property and hard to handle. Of course, they are smart, so training and sufficient activity can temper this, but in my experience they are not dogs you can ever trust off-leash or around children, other dogs, or other animals such as cats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a friend who raises Borzois and used to import them from Russia. She said that they are extremely difficult to handle and train, and experience is needed.
She currently owns 11 Borzois! :eek:
Huh, most of my research and discussing them has said they tend to be independent but not exactly difficult, thats crazy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Basenjis are cool, but this was about Borzois LOL

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Huh, most of my research and discussing them has said they tend to be independent but not exactly difficult, thats crazy!
Different people will have different definitions of "difficult" in this context.
A sight hound is likely to be very challenging for a first time dog owner, and a challenge also for someone who has never had a sight hound.
but I think if a person were pretty familiar with dogs, had some good skill in training, and - maybe most importantly - had some support and opportunity to get assistance when needed from other people who have the breed, That leven of challenge could be brought within what could be managed.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have "met" a few of them as she used to bring one or 2 to her office from time to time. One of them took a liking to me, but I was a bit put off by the others...They just didn't seem to be friendly and needless to say..they were HUGE! She had warned me not to get my face at their head level, even with the one that liked me.....o_O

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Different people will have different definitions of "difficult" in this context.
A sight hound is likely to be very challenging for a first time dog owner, and a challenge also for someone who has never had a sight hound.
but I think if a person were pretty familiar with dogs, had some good skill in training, and - maybe most importantly - had some support and opportunity to get assistance when needed from other people who have the breed, That leven of challenge could be brought within what could be managed.
Exactly! I knew it will be difficult, thats why I'm waiting a few years before I commit to anything, planning to go to some clubs, maybe even some lure coursing events to get some experience :) i think I've made the decision to definitely consider them as a future breed, and i think I could handle them in that amount of time, but ultimately only time will tell lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have "met" a few of them as she used to bring one or 2 to her office from time to time. One of them took a liking to me, but I was a bit put off by the others...They just didn't seem to be friendly and needless to say..they were HUGE! She had warned me not to get my face at their head level, even with the one that liked me.....o_O
yeah they tend to be a little indifferent and bond with their handlers well

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry if mentioning another breed bothered you. I was pointing out that for someone who cares about trainability in the obedience sense, a sighthound may not be a good choice.
Its okay, I didnt mean to come off as annoyed, Basenjis and borzois tend to be quite different though lol

·
Registered
953 Posts
They are beautiful dogs. I have only encountered one who was in a training class with my dog and me years ago. Let's say obedience was not his thing. You might want to consider a Suluki too. They are beautiful dogs also. Here is a comparison of the two breeds. The Suluki is a little easier to train and not as aloof as the Borzoi. Compare Borzoi vs Saluki | Difference Between Borzoi and Saluki (dogspot.in)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts