Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. We just recently brought home a 9 (almost 10) week old puppy. His name is Orion. He is already doing awesome with his house training and he is starting to understand that nighttime isn't "scream the song of my people" time. I've never raised a puppy (the rest of my crew came to me as adults), so I'm pretty new at it!

My main question is this: what are good ways to tire him out in the evenings before bed time without getting him too wired up to sleep?

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would be sure to give him at least an hour to wind down before bedtime, maybe longer. But, earlier in the evening you could run him around the yard, toss a ball or a frisbee, things like that.

With my most recent pup, we wanted train a rock solid recall early, so my husband and I would take him out in the backyard (fenced) and we would stand a good ways apart (40-50 feet, but you could start closer). And we would take turns calling him to us and treating him for coming. He would race back and forth and sit for his treat. He loved it. It was good training and he would get tuckered out and ready to sleep come bedtime.

As he got older, I added more things. Calling him into heel, doing a sit/down stay, but I continued to include running between my husband and I so he would burn off some energy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey all. We just recently brought home a 9 (almost 10) week old puppy. His name is Orion. He is already doing awesome with his house training and he is starting to understand that nighttime isn't "scream the song of my people" time. I've never raised a puppy (the rest of my crew came to me as adults), so I'm pretty new at it!

My main question is this: what are good ways to tire him out in the evenings before bed time without getting him too wired up to sleep?
Congrats on the new puppy! Not sure if he would catch on to this at such a young age but we taught our beagle hide n seek with his toys. Show him the toy, shut him in a room, hide the toy in a different room, then let him out and have him find it. It is really stimulating for his brain and is sure to wear him out after several games.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Training sessions always tired my pup out much faster and more efficiently than just exercise alone.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Training sessions and tug of war worked great for me. I had the opposite problem though, I would try and keep him awake in the evening so he would sleep through the night longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.