Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a handful of Australian Cattle Dogs....and an Azawakh! (A sighthhound from Africa used as a livestock guarding and gazelle Hunter!) I am getting three Blackbelly Lambs next week, and I'm really studying and watching herding instructional videos. I do task and obedience training for a living, so I'm handy with the dogs anyway, but I'd like to include the Azawakh, and I think he'd be extremely useful, but im new to herding training.

The Azawakh is very gentle with small animals and other dogs. Low prey instinct. His father was a livestock and village guardian imported from Mali, so I think that's he is so gentle with other animals. (But very, veey aggressive when people approach the house but great out in public)

The cattle dogs are pretty crazy, and he normally will be interested in whatever they are doing. If you need your cattle dog to become conditioned, have them make a best friend in a sighthound. They run around the yard and have had to learn to keep up with a dog who maxs out at 40 miles an hour! When we take the cow dogs somewhere like the dog park or agility practice, it's shocking how lighting fast our cattle dogs are. (Seems normal at home)

Anyway, because of his massive size and speed, I think he'd be great when we let the sheep out to graze on our acre. They will need to be rounded up nightly once they are old enough to move out of the little run we built for them while they are little lambs.

Open to and familar with clicker training. The Azawakh knows many task, obedience and rally commands. His retrieval is very good. He can also do some freestyle. We also don't mind incorporating the cattle dogs to assist him in his training.

Now that you've had a good laugh, any ideas?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Interesting challenge. ;) Sorry I have no useful advice for you, but maybe this comment will bump the thread for you. :)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Maybe train the herding dogs and let the Azawakh join in and learn from them? If he's used to playing with them, he's probably inclined to imitate them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a plan of mine so far. We actually have him trained at Trieball so we might do okay:) we pick the lambs up Wednesday!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm excited to hear how it goes! Also, would love some pics of the dogs AND the lambs! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts