Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my 4 year old Male Shih-Tzu to the vet this evening, and as the vet was checking his vitals, she mentioned that his bladder was soft- this apparently being a good sign in Shih-Tzu's as they have a pre-disposition to bladder stones. Hearing this really had me worried. My sister's male cat had to be put down just two or so weeks back, due to a urinary tract blockage from bladder stones after an unsuccessful catheter procedure. It was a horrible thing to watch this beloved cat deteriorate and die within 48 hours, and I could never in a million years go through that with my Cosmo. I wanted to know if there are any tips to prevent these stones from popping up? He drinks plenty of water, and as of today I am starting him slowly to also eat diluted wet food alongside his dry diet to stimulate water intake further. He is clean, loved, and happy. Any over the counter prevention methods?

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I just brought my 4 year old Male Shih-Tzu to the vet this evening, and as the vet was checking his vitals, she mentioned that his bladder was soft- this apparently being a good sign in Shih-Tzu's as they have a pre-disposition to bladder stones. Hearing this really had me worried. My sister's male cat had to be put down just two or so weeks back, due to a urinary tract blockage from bladder stones after an unsuccessful catheter procedure. It was a horrible thing to watch this beloved cat deteriorate and die within 48 hours, and I could never in a million years go through that with my Cosmo. I wanted to know if there are any tips to prevent these stones from popping up? He drinks plenty of water, and as of today I am starting him slowly to also eat diluted wet food alongside his dry diet to stimulate water intake further. He is clean, loved, and happy. Any over the counter prevention methods?

Thanks!
Hi and welcome

I have a shih tzu x and oh my god i so love shih tzu's even though mine is half australian terrier too! My Jessie the shih tzu x in my avater and thats the best pic of her from last year. Well she had heaps of problems with her urinary tract and crystals in urine.

I need to really rack my brain to go back over everything i had to do for Jessie to rid of them. I do know i did vet food and i hate those but the problems came back even after switching to pre made raw with fruit and veggies.

The best thing i did was to get pre made prey model raw diet mixed blends and off the fruit and veges in the raw! Fruit and veges got her urine too alkaline her PH was 9! supposed to be 5.5-7.

so i would personally avoid them or give very limited amount to cosmo and yes shih tzus are known for that problem.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Most normal dogs (shih-tzus, too) will NOT develop bladder stones with most routine diets. So I would not be overly concerned. If/when it may ever happen, few dogs that develop bladder stones end up being blocked they way male cats can get… so I would not be concerned about that, either. Yes, it CAN happen, though extremely rare (don't think I have seen a single blocked ****-zhu in 28 years as a vet).

By the way CRYSTALs and NOT bladder stones and are rarely a concern if found in a dog's urine (considered a normal finding in most dogs). They ARE, however, useful in diagnosing what sort of stone a dog has if a dog is found to have a bladder stone. But the relationship (cause and effect) between the two is very unclear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts