Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 6 months and has some pretty serious separation anxiety. It's to the point that I can't leave the room without him getting upset, and FORGET leaving the house. If I leave he barks nonstop and I live in an apartment building, so you can see why that's a problem. He doesn't bark any other time. I'm trying to teach him some independence so that he won't bark so much when I leave and so that I can spend time in my bird room without him flipping out. It's to the point that my poor birds haven't been out of their cage in months because they can't be out with him in the room, but he can't not be in the same room as me. All of my childhood dogs were pretty chill and just learned independence on their own, so I have no clue on where to begin with him. If anyone has any experience with this, please help me with some tips and advice on things that worked for you and your pup!

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
I'd suggest starting with the Flitting Game, described about ⅔ of the way down this page.

Also, the Do It By Myself Game

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I followed the advise above with my pup and had good results. We also built up leaving the house very slowly, I was literally yoyo-ing in and out of the house 10 times a day. We found once he could go up and down the deck steps, he was going outside on his own. I slowly built up more distance outside too. Eventually he was having so much fun sniffing on his own, he just started wanting to check things out. Btw, I always still watch him. In the front we use a tie out or long lead and always watch him. But out helps create distance IME.

Also, not sure if it helps, i am not a behaviorist, but I started playing hide and seek with our pup. I thought maybe it would get him used to the idea of being alone, or the feeling of being alone and it's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Edit: I just read Joanne's 2nd link and maybe wait a bit before playing hide and seek. I had to teach a "wait" and "find me" or else I was sneaking off on him, but we tease eachother all the time and play games, so he has no issues with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts