Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My small dog was attacked by a large dog last week during her walk, the other dog was out and about without a leash. My poor baby ended up at the emergency hospital and had to stay over night with two broken ribs and lesions to one of her lungs. The vet wanted to make sure she could get the proper care/oxygen if she needed it during the night. Thankfully she did good and I was able to bring her home the next day. She should be going to her regular vet this week for a check up, but my questions are these:

Has anyone dealt with similar injuries with their dogs, how long did it take for them to heal? I can't put her in a crate, she is not used to it (was adopted just a few months ago and haven't gotten her used to it), so vet told me to keep her confined to a small room. She's been doing great, eating and drinking and resting. She is playful and I have to be constantly on the lookout so that she doesn't do much. She is on pain medication so I assume that is keeping her from feeling the pain and that's why she's been trying to run around.

I will be asking these questions to the vet, but I will also feel better if I get tips from people who have dealt with similar injuries. Can she chew on a bully stick or chew toy? I'm a little paranoid that will be too much exertion. I just want her to feel better so I don't want to do anything that might cause her any set backs. Should I take away the few toys I've allowed her? Sometimes she plays with the like she used to, growling at them and shaking them, trying to jump around. I let her play with them for a few minutes before taking them away, I am afraid she's growing bored but I would rather have her being bored than hurt.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help!

·
Registered
368 Posts
unless severely out of place (which is unlikely in your pet as it sounds like she is fairly comfortable) rib fractures heal fast and without complication almost all the time (in people, too actually). Exercise restriction is probably more for healing the hemorrhage in her lungs (or whatever lung damage occurred) rather than allowing the ribs to heal, which will heal either way… though heavy exercise is likely going to be painful at first… so best to take it easy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts