Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 week old puppy Ive had her for almost a week and she does really good at night she sleeps in the bed with me I take her out every 4 hours during the day its 2 hours but today I took her out at 10 and before 12 she had peed on the floor twice. we have had about 5 pee accidents and 1 poop and 1 time where she tried to poop but I stopped her intime and got outside since last wednesday. She has a crate but she hates it and screams and bites at the gate until she gets sick and throws up from stress. plus its to big for her right now as i don't have a divider for it. I am working on her crate training but i'm having no luck she just screams and screams for hours on end and never stops. Thats why she sleeps with me its the only way she will actually sleep so I wont be kept awake all night she screams to the point she sounds like she was hit by a car and is dying and she just never calms down in the crate. I don't mind her sleeping with me but she needs to get used to it by time she is 5 months old which is when I plan on having her spayed because she will need to be caged at the vet clinic and at home until she heals. What can I do for her housetraining. I just don't understand why she is still having so many accidents even though I take her out every 2 hours If I take her out sooner then that she won't walk and will just pull towards the front door wanting to go back inside. I need to have her mostly housetrained by the time I go back to school in about a month so my parents won't have to deal with her pottying on the floor to much.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yet another accident

She has had 3 pee accidents inside the house within a 4 hour period and peed outside twice why is she having so many accidents I took her out 30 minutes before this last accident yet she still peed on the floor. She was doing good going out every 2 hour now she pees every 30 minutes,. I just don't understand this.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
How are you crate training? Have you seen this thread: Crate Training FAQ?

She has had 3 pee accidents inside the house within a 4 hour period and peed outside twice why is she having so many accidents I took her out 30 minutes before this last accident yet she still peed on the floor. She was doing good going out every 2 hour now she pees every 30 minutes,. I just don't understand this.
If this is a significant change, I'd recommend a vet check for a UTI. If none exists, increase your supervision.

It's possible that she was able to wait 2 hours during the first week because she was nervous and/or not drinking as much as normal. Now that she's settled in more, she may need more frequent outings. Many people take their young pups out every 15-20 minutes for the first few weeks. With my pup, we spent hours outside to get him into the habit of "this is where we go."

It's not likely that she will be fully house trained by 14-16 weeks; however, if she's kept on a reasonable schedule she is unlikely to have accidents regularly.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Where were you when she was having the accident? Was she near a door or was there no option for her to go out? How much access to water does she have? Is she drinking down a bowl of water before you leave her alone? She may not like the cage, and she may cry, but I would really focus on getting her use to it. Wear her out and make sure she is good and tired and put her in there is a nice filled kong. Give her all her treats in there. And honestly, the sleeping in the bed thing is a horrible idea. She is never going to adjust to sleeping in a crate if you allow her to sleep in bed with you.

What kind of dog is she? Has she been checked over and cleared by the vet? Did they check to see if she has a UTI?

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what she is. Her mom was said to be a poodle terrier mix her dad we have NO idea.. I was sitting on the bed she was at the end of bed on the floor I didn't see her do it but I saw the spot when I got up. She doesn't drink much water before I put her in the crate she just hates being alone. The only time I want her to be in the crate is when we leave the house but she freaks out so much. I was planning on doing crate at night but she cried all night long and I got no sleep I have been feeding her in the crate and letting her go in and out as she pleased to get used to it but she still hates it. Every other dog i had cried for a few minutes layed down and went to sleep she cries all night long non stop and then she ends up throwing up from the stress of being in the crate. Ive tried the blanket on the crate but it only makes her cry worse.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
having her on the bed is the only way I can get sleep. The first night I tried it she cried for 3 hours straight before I gave up. She keeps me up all night long if I leave her in the crate shes in the crate right now and she is just crying and she won't stop she scratches the gate, Bites the Gate and screams at the top of her lungs non stop

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Things don't happen over night. She has to cry herself out. It may take minutes, it may take hours. That's why you have to exercise her a lot and make sure she is good and tired before you put her in. A tired puppy will not have as much fight in her. If you just give in and let her sleep with you, you are just reinforcing the fact that if she cried enough, you will let her out. Play with her, get her good and tired, maybe throw one of your used shirts in there that smells like you, put her in, turn the tv or some radio on for her, and walk away. She has to learn. DO NOT LET HER OUT OF THE CRATE WHEN SHE IS CRYING. You are merely reinforcing the crying by doing that.

Also, as far as the potty training, if you are not watching her, she should be in her crate. There is no way for her to alert you he has to go. Also have her checked out by a vet.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is plenty tired when I put her in the crate I gave in because like I said I got no sleep instead I got a migraine and I get really sick without sleep she falls asleep in minutes on the bed and stays asleep all night no problem she does better in the crate during the day but she still doesn't like it I know tons of people who let their dogs sleep in bed with them and rate them when their not home and the dogs are fine in the crate I only have the crate for when we leave the house

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I didn't get any sleep for the first week I had Levi. It was horrible, he screamed bloody murder at night, and I felt terrible. I was exhausted, had massive headaches from crying/no sleep. But, he learned to deal with it, and so did I. We worked on getting him to love his crate during the day, and at night, every time he cried, i put the leash on and took him outside to pee. He's 10 months old now, and doesn't sleep in his crate anymore (sleeps on the floor next to my bed), but I love knowing if he needs to go in a crate, he happily will.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
13 Posts
where is the crate? can she see you? this helps.
also I read once; to figure out when puppy has to go: take total months of age plus one,
e.g. 12 week old pup would be: 3+1 or every four hrs..
this info helped me and just sharing.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Her crate is in my bathroom right next to my bedroom. when she see's me she cries worse. she is getting better with crate training, but her peeing in the house just seems to be getting worse. she peed 4 times in a 2 hour period twice within 10 minutes. and she pooped in the house today. I'm going to start taking her out every hour during the day and see how it goes

·
Registered
343 Posts
Her crate is in my bathroom right next to my bedroom. when she see's me she cries worse. she is getting better with crate training, but her peeing in the house just seems to be getting worse. she peed 4 times in a 2 hour period twice within 10 minutes. and she pooped in the house today. I'm going to start taking her out every hour during the day and see how it goes

If she's going 4 times in 2 hours you should be taking her out more than every hour. Start with every 20-30 mins for a few days, Then add another 10 minutes between outs every 3-4 days until you're confident she'll go an hour. The goal is for her to never have the opportunity to go in the house. How much freedom does she get in the house? A puppy of that age shouldn't be free in the house unless you are constantly watching her. You're either watching her like a hawk, she's in her crate, or puppy proof area (outside with supervision, or in a play pen)

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Are you watching for signs and taking her out if you see her sniffing? Dogs don't just know that they have to wait another 30 minutes and then you are going to take them out. You have to be watching them all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.